cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP issues with WRV200

Darthherm
Level 1
Level 1

I have had a WRV200 wireless router running at the family office now for a several years now and recently I was made aware of an issue with the router. Previously it's function was to provide internet access for the laptops at the office and two workstations. It was a simple set up really, 1 SSID was for the work computers that were allowed on the internet and another SSID for personal and quest wireless devices and I made sure they were in seperate VLANs. This issue came into light after our office moved and with some new upgrades in networking equipment it was deemed safe enough to have the other computers on my wireless router.

What is happening is that all the computers will have a momentary drop of connectivity and will re-establish it's connection to the wireless router. I check the event viewer and it's the same thing accross the board. I'll have several DHCP warings specifically event ID 1003 and finally DHCP error 1000 almost 30 minutes after the first warning. From the looks of it there is something going on with the DHCP addresses about to expire and the systems are having issues trying to get it renewed. The error will happen then the computer will restore the connection.

I have it isolated to the WRV200 because of two reasons. Every machine is having this issue, it's not a random occurance on one computer. The big clue was when I checked Event viewer on my Marketing Director's laptop. These same errors were present all the way back to May which was before the office move and the router was provide access for our laptops to get online. There was no other networking equipment connected to it except for the Clearwire modem.

Between May and now the router has been reconfigured from scratch. New SSIDs, redid the internal IP addressing network wide to incorporate the new computers and would be easier to manage them that way. All wired devices go through a 16 port switch and then through port 1 on the router. Port 1 is on VLAN 1 and the others on VLAN 5. The 3 SSIDS are each on their own seperate VLANs. All systems are on DHCP and the important computers and the printers I am using Static DHCP. In the mean time I set all the important machines to use an alternate IP addressing scheme so hopefully there is no drop in conenctivity. While the drop is minor it could cause issues in the program called SLS (especially during printing) so I can not have this issue to continue.

Configuration wise everything is defualt, is there something to change in the configuration settings that I may have missed twice now or the router simply near the end of it's life cycle.

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

This issue is a little too complex than what we normally handle here are the support forums. In order to get you the best support, I reccommend that you call into our support center and let one of our engineers open a case for you and work towards a solution with you.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866