Views
Helpful
Replies

General AP541N Questions

charlesdwest
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of questions about the AP541N:

1. Does anyone finally have these installed and working properly, especially in a clustered environment?  I have read so many comments about slow performance, no performace, bad coverage, etc...  They sound like the perfect product for my intended use if they actually work as advertised.  Anyone???

2. Does anyone know the installation requirements for multiple units?  (What is the minimum/maximum distance between units?  How many units are needed for a certain area?  Etc...)

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Charles

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Charles,

I was hoping that a member of the public would answer your post.

If I recall correctly, clustering is controlled via the copper Ethernet ports, so that any AP that can communicate in the same VLAN can be clustered together. Up to 10 AP's can be in a cluster.

It uses a encrypted proprietary protocol so that clustered APs "talk" to eachother.

AP's are in the same cluster if they satisfy the following requirements'

• in the same vlan
  • the same cluster name and
  • location assisgned.

Once clustering is enabled, a configuration change on one AP is propogated to all AP's in the cluster.

If you are a Cisco partner, you can check out a AP541 emulator at the following location so you can check out the management interface.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/onlinedemos?view=overview%20target=

I have attached  the WiFi old deployment guide that specifically looks at the deployment of AP541.

Hope you find it informative.

regards Dave