Views
Helpful
Replies

Haing problem setting up a guest connection on AP-541N

CPettey2860
Level 1
Level 1

I have both working in a cluster and traffic is flowing but now I desire to

seperate my intranet from internet guest traffic only. Having an issue with understanding how to accomplish this task. I have one 2003 server in the intranet that supports DHCP and using a private network address.

Could use some help with this project for our church.

4 Replies 4

What are you using for a router?

You could create a separate SSID for Guest WiFi, put it on its own VLAN and subnet and subsequently isolate it from your private network.

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

The AP541N uses VLANs in conjuntion with the wi-fi to create the Guest Access you are looking for. The one thing you need to remember is that the rest of your network must be able to handle VLANs as well, that includes the router and anything else between the router and AP541N. You will also need to turn off intervlan routing to keep the business network/vlan separate from the guest network/vlan.

I am also including the Admin Guide in case you do not have that.

Hope this helps please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Thank you for your response. I have two buildings and each have a Netgear Smart Switch "724" and each have a Cisco AP541N connected to them. Connected into the second one is a Netgear Ready Home Router and the Cable modem plugged into it.

Do I have to create a VLAN on my Smart Switches or are you talking on the WAP's and then turn on guest on the Netgear router and point to it?

Carl

P.S. We are a smaller church without a full time IT staff.

-

emoyers wrote:

Carl Pettey,

A new message was posted in the Discussion thread "Haing problem setting up a guest connection on AP-541N":

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3283086#3283086

Author : Eric Moyers

Profile : https://supportforums.cisco.com/people/emoyers

Carl:

While not intimately familiar with those particular pieces of Netgear equipment, the fact that the word "Home" appears in the name of the router does not bode well for the likelihood that it supports VLAN's.

Essentially, you need switches that support VLAN's and a router that supports VLAN's. The ports connecting the switches to each other (if they are connected in this manner) need to be trunked, the ports connecting to the AP's need to be trunked, and the ports connecting to the router need to be trunked as this is necessary to carry the VLAN information.

A quick look on Netgear's site shows that the switches are VLAN capable. The router however probably isn't. Can you provide the exact model numbers for these pieces of equipment? Are the switches GS724T's?