cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help. Linksys WBP54G bridge, setup wizard doesn't work in Windows 7. Options?

tony_vancouver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  I had originally posted this question about the WBP54G and Windows 7 in the Cisco Home Community and the moderator there advised that:

07-04-2010 06:49 AM

These products are being handled by the Cisco Small  Business Support Community. (URL: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business)

so will repost my question here.

I have a WBP54g wireless bridge. It works great with my Linksys SPA2102 ATA to serve as my desk phone and for conference calls when travelling. However the setup wizard only works with Windows XP (and Windows 2000), but not with Windows 7 nor with the Windows XP mode add-on in Windows 7. So when travelling with my Windows 7 laptop I have no way to set up the WBP54G for different wireless access points I may encounter.

I bought a Linksys WTR54GS travel router but it can only connect to open, unsecure wifi access points when acting as a bridge. Most access points I use have some kind of security. So the WRT54GS turned out not to be the solution.

Does anyone have a way to setup the WBP54G with a Windows 7 PC? Is there an alternative product with pass through power? My next alternative is to buy another brand of travel router/bridge that can connect to secure wifi access points. This adds another AC adapter to my kit.
The SPA2102 ATA lets me connect to the Internet by Ethernet or wirelessly using the WBP54G. What other solutions are people using for a VOIP phone when travelling? Run it entirely as a softphone on a PC with a headset?
thanks.
-Tony
Update August 2010. Have moved onto an Asus WL-330gE which, for me, replaces both the WBP54g bridge and Linksys WTR54GS Travel Router I have. The WL-330gE can be configured entirely via browser interface. It can be a bridge, gateway, access point, and wifi repeater.
0 Replies 0