Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup 4 WAP321 with 1 SSID

Minh Vu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just bought 6 Cisco WAP321 and need your help configuration.

What I want is to have 1 SSID for all 6 WAP so all employee from 2 floor building can access.

Please let me know if this setup is correct?

• WAP # 1 connect to LAN with cabe and setup as Master with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input from WAP #2; WAP #3 & WAP#4.
  • WAP #2 connect to WAP #1 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #1 (master)
  • WAP #3 connect to WAP #1 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #1 (master)
  • WAP #4 connect to WAP #1 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #1 (master)

Don't know how to setup WAP # 5 and WAP#6??????

I'm also thinking another setup, please let me know if this OK

1. WAP1 setup as master with LAN cable connect with WDS enabled
  2. WAP2 connect to WAP1 with WDS interface
  3. WAP3 connect to WAP2 with WDS interface
  4. WAP4 connect to WAP3 with WDS interface
  5. WAP5 connect to WAP4 with WDS interface
  6. WAP6 connect to WAP6 with WDS interface

Thanks in advance.

KEY

16 Replies 16

Hello Eric,

In your first post you suggested to not have the WAPs hardwired to the network.  Whay is that?  Are you suggesting to never use a PoE switch?

Also, from the admin docs it says the following:

All Cisco WAP devices participating in a WDS link must have the following

identical settings:

- Radio

- IEEE 802.11 Mode

- Channel Bandwidth

- Channel (Auto is not recommended)

But you guys are reccomending unique channels?

Eric,

Thanks again for your answer.

Since the LAN ports available to all floor and to reduce the signal lost for the slave devices, I'm planing to change the configuration.

Would you check again on my new configuration and let me know if is is correct or it may need to be change:

First Floor, building on the Right side:

• WAP # 1 connect to LAN with cable and setup as Master with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input from WAP #2. SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1
  • WAP #2 connect to WAP #1 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #1 (master). SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1

First Floor, building on the LEFT side:

• WAP # 3 connect to LAN with cable and setup as Master with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input from WAP #4. SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1
  • WAP #4 connect to WAP #3 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #3 (master) . SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1

Second Floor

• WAP # 5 connect to LAN with cable and setup as Master with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input from WAP #6. SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1
  • WAP #6 connect to WAP #5 via wireless with WDS Bridge enabled. WDS interface is also enable with MAC address input form WAP #4 (master) . SSID = ABC; password = XYZ and CH=1