Views
Helpful
Replies

Must I change router's ip if I use vpn---RV110W

lee_hz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there:

The ip of my RV110W is 192.168.1.2. Now I'm adding a row in vpn clinet setting table.When I put the save button the page shows"in order to ensure proper functionality.the router need to change its ip address to 10.x.x.1". So. I need to konw Must I change router's ip to 10.x.x.1 in order to use VPN? it's very Inconvenient cuz my devices are all set to 192.168.1.x range.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, 

Im sorry you are having issues with your device.

You are right, the router will force you to change the IP address when you try to date a new VPN user, if it is still using the 192.168.1.X IP address, this is to prevent issues when people is connecting remotely as that subnet is the most used one and if somebody tries to connect remotely while using the subnet 192.168.1.X then the connection will be rejected.

Now, you don't really have to change it if you don't want to (I wouldn't advice it as the feature is there for a reason and most likely you will have issues with users connection from the same subnet). 

What you can do is to change the IP address to whatever you like, create all the VPN users and then change the IP address back to what you want to, this way you fool the router and you can keep your current IP address (again, this is not recommended)

I hope this was help helpful, please let us know.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lee_hz
Level 1
Level 1

All right. There's no respons here,and I have called Cisco's service phone. They advice me to change router's ip manully before setting VPN. So that I can change the ip to any range besides'10.x.x.x'.However, this rule is still inconveint. I have to change all the IPs of stations and servers in LAN.

Hello, 

Im sorry you are having issues with your device.

You are right, the router will force you to change the IP address when you try to date a new VPN user, if it is still using the 192.168.1.X IP address, this is to prevent issues when people is connecting remotely as that subnet is the most used one and if somebody tries to connect remotely while using the subnet 192.168.1.X then the connection will be rejected.

Now, you don't really have to change it if you don't want to (I wouldn't advice it as the feature is there for a reason and most likely you will have issues with users connection from the same subnet). 

What you can do is to change the IP address to whatever you like, create all the VPN users and then change the IP address back to what you want to, this way you fool the router and you can keep your current IP address (again, this is not recommended)

I hope this was help helpful, please let us know.

Hi morr

Your solution works.THX.