cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need router buying advice please

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm needing to get asap a router for my newtwork, but don't know what to do based on my needs and my current issues. I would so much appreciate any and all help and feedback. My dlink dgl-4300 last week it wouldn't work. It would just restart all the time. Plug it in and it would boot up. Then it would restart on its own every few minutes. So I got the linksys WRT610N and it worked except there was no security. Exchanged it for the WRVS4400N that would not work with wireless going online. Exchanged it for another WRVS4400N and it worked, but only after I took off some software from a windows pc that for some reason made it so with that 4400N no wireless would go online. So I probably didn't have to return the first one.

Well with me being disappointed in the trendmicro stuff I took it back and exchanged it for the dlink 4500 yesterday. Now get this. The dlink wireless crashes and the fix is for me to reboot the dlink but then the AP crashes again. So I can't get wireless to work at all. I now have to take it back tonight. I don't know what to do anymore.

The features I want are built in AV protection, IPS, content filtering selecting from categories to block adult content, I want it to tell me how much we download and upload on the wan. Wireless .n is needed too. Plus it needs to work with wii, ps3 and xbox 360.

4 Replies 4

bmareby
Level 1
Level 1

Based upon the information listed in your post your options are limited for Small Business Products by Cisco. Linksys by Cisco Small Business department only has one wireless N Router which is a WRVS4400N. The good news I have for you is that there are really three different hardware versions. Version 1.0 and 1.1 are identical based on the Firmware. For the third option there’s a Version 2. Version 1.0 and 1.1 had the same issues that you listed in your post with the older version of firmware. The new version of firmware that is out for the device 1.1.13 has resolved the issues you were having with intermittent connectivity. In regards to Version 2.0 supports (WDS). (WDS) known as “Wireless Distribution System” on the router allows your wireless signal to be expanded over an Access Point such as the WAP4410N. For the WRT610N and WRT310N both of those devices are classified as a Consumer Device, and I do not have much information for those devices. In regards to TrendMicro the option in the WRVS4400N router is limit with certain options. If you are looking for multiple option for TrendMicro within a router, than I would recommend the SA520W. This device has more options for configuring than the WRVS4400N router, but does not support 802.11N. If 802.11N is needed than I would stay with the WRVS4400N router.

Thanks.

I had the V2 linksys one. It was terrible. I have now the wrt160nl.

I still need a security appliance/device though and it doesn't have to be anything linksys or anything cisco. I know a little about brands and a little on cost and features etc. But still am interested in any and all help and feedback.

If you just need to block URLs, I think the WRT310N and the WRT610N support Trend Micro's Home Network Defender.  I know very little about the products, so please do your own research.

If you have time, I would appreciate more info on your problems with the WRVS4400N. You can click on my name to send a private message.

Look at my previous messages. I said why the WRVS4400N v2 sucks so bad. It looses wireless constantly every few minutes and the trendmicro is pathetic. it has no av protection, no ips, no spyware etc. the content filtering sucks as well hardly blocking anything compared to other products.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: