Views
Helpful
Replies

New Cisco 5 port WAP 351

Paul Wright
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I'm looking for some advice or suggestions, I've used many of the small business wap's 121,321,371 etc. I've recently deployed 5 of the new 351 wap's into a property witch 10 years ago was cabled with cat5e in a few certain locations. These Wap's fitted the bill perfectly and allowed then cabled local hardware connectivity at each location.

Before we installed the 5 waps we totally re-terminated and tested all data outlets and supplied a POE+ switch on stage one of the project. 

The GUI set-up is nearly just the same as the 121 ,321, 371 witch I'm familiar with, however things just didn't seem right once completed?

I had a iPhone and android htc m9 and my windows 8 surface. They all connected but the android was very unstable and kept moaning about poor connection it really wouldn't hold or even connect at times. The window 8 surface was far better in comparison, compared to the android phone but every now and again the wireless card in the machine would again moan about connectivity.

The iPhone/ipads seemed to work a lot better and didn't really experience connection loss.

Yes all the wap 351's clusted and was showing in the single point set-up page but something didn't seem right?? I've left the project now and fingers crossed they are ok, luckily most of the clients devices was apple, but I fear a phone call and being back soon because of connection issues with devices mentioned.

The 351's did have a sticker on them saying check you have the latest firmware but there was only 1.0.0.39 firmware available on cisco.com and that is what they came out of the box with.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks Paul

13 Replies 13

slstratt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Paul,

Thank you for using the Small Business Support Community!

The latest firmware for the WAP351 is v1.0.1.3, which can be downloaded here.

Without more specific details, I can't say definitively what the problem could be. However, as I was reading your post it reminded me of a similar problem I saw a little while ago which can be found here; you may find it useful.

If you continue to experience this problem, you can call Small Business Customer Support at 1(866)606-1866.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Best,

Taylor

Hi slstratt,

Thank you for your reply, I will go back too site when possible and upload the new firmware witch looks like, from the link, was only just released today. 07/07/2015

I will check the box for MFP "Not Required" also have you a phone number UK side, as I work and live in the UK.

One more question as I update the firmware will I have to upload it to all the devices or just the one?(single Point Set-up capabilities)  

Again, thank you for your time.

Hello Paul,

After running some tests in our lab, it looks like firmware cannot be upgraded across a single point setup; the firmware must be upgraded on each device individually.

If you wish to contact me with any other question, you can email me at slstratt@cisco.com or just continue to post in this forum and I'll do my best to help you.

Best,

Taylor

Taylor,

That's great, I will prompt you a couple of days prior to being on site. We based our project around these waps, I need 100% confidence their all working fine. Hopefully we could catch up over the phone & a remote session maybe?

Paul

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately, live support is beyond the scope of this forum. If you need live support for this issue, please use this page to contact the Small Business Support Center.

Best,

Taylor

Ok!! and thank you for your time. 

Hello Mr. Wright, with the 1.0.1.3 firmware, it is possible to upgrade all devices from one AP. If you look under SIngle Point Setup and then Cluster Firmware Upgrade, you can select which AP's to upgrade and the method of transfer. Once you have browsed for the file you can start the upgrade. There is even a firmware transfer status, to let you know when completed.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Eric,

Thanks that's good to hear, I appreciate your message. 

Many Thanks

Paul

Evening slstratt & Eric Moyers    

Update:

I'm going back to site tomorrow morning to update the 351 wap firmware. However the link above doesn't seem to greet you with firmware v1.0.1.3, anymore???

I'm left puzzled

Hello Paul,

It looks like firmware v1.0.1.3 was removed from the page for some reason; I can't find it anymore either.

I don't know why the firmware was removed, but you can try calling Cisco Small Business Support (1 866 606 1866 for the U.S.) to see if they know anything.

Taylor

Sistratt,

Many thanks for yout reply, with regards to contacting Cisco SBS, however I'm located in the UK.

Have you any more details regarding this matter or UK phone number for cisco SBS?

Regards Paul.

Hello Paul,

The telephone number for Cisco Small Business in the UK is 0800 917 5473.

Best,

Taylor

I am also. I have some questions out trying to get an answer.

Eric Moyers