cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software 8.3 breaks WLC's SNMP agent -- any remedies?

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just discovered the hard way that 8.3 breaks the SNMP agent. The rest of the engine works just fine meaning traps but the agent piece is totally dead. Time out on all 3 versions. As if UDP 161 is dead. Agent debug does show incoming packets but the agent seems to loop into a dead end. It seems that it dies right after "calling do_response" and of course the SNMP client eventually times out. The WLC is NOT walkable or bulk-walkable period.

*SNMPTask: Nov 16 09:13:40.889: SNMPD: calling srDoSnmp.

*SNMPTask: Nov 16 09:13:40.889: SNMPD: received get-next pdu

*SNMPTask: Nov 16 09:13:40.889: SNMPD:calling do_response

*SNMPTask: Nov 16 09:13:40.889: Searching for next instance of sysDescr

Currently I am stuck in Bangalore hell and wasting time with one defective remedy after another (one remedy was to upgrade to engineering release 8.3.102.11) which of course didn't fix the issue. The TAC "engineers" are Googling stuff on the Internet; disgraceful given that I've spent pretty penny for the Smart Net contract. Other than class action I don't know what else will move Cisco on providing coherent value for the money we all pay.

I've confirmed that the defect was introduced after 8.2.111 meaning the last WLC software version with working SNMP agent is 8.2.111; of course TAC is incapable of rational coherency so right now we're battling "networking" suspect as the root cause LOL

Any ideas will be appreciated!
Thank you everyone.

1 Reply 1

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

So here's the story; the WLC management interface MUST be tagged, period. Then the switchport where that management interface is connected to (the switch to which your WLC is connected to) must be configured with native VLAN OTHER THAN whatever you are tagging the WLC.

Working example. Core switch has only 1 vlan -- vlan 1. WLC is management interface is tagged for 1 and the switchport is set for native VLAN 2 (2 isn't a valid VLAN, it doesn't even exist but it's different than 1)

Then it all works:

Current configuration : 355 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/35
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 2
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
switchport mode trunk
switchport voice vlan 105
qos trust cos
qos trust device cisco-phone
auto qos voip cisco-phone