cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The WAP551 drops idle devices and disabling load balancing.

tbj000001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently installed a WAP551 as a wireless access point. The problem I have is that idle devices get dropped and can't get connect again unless their wireless connection is turned off then on again. We have this problem with wireless printers and laptops using wireless.

I saw some posts on the Internet that claimed the problem may be due to load balancing, and that load balancing should be disabled. The posts referred to other Cisco products, but the problem was the same. I went through the configuration site, but couldn't find a setting for load balancing. Additionally, QoS functionality is disabled. Enabling QoS did not improve results.

Does anyone have experience with the WAP551 and solving this problem?

Thanks!

Tom

4 Replies 4

stamador
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my name is Steve and I am a Cisco Engineer in the Small Business Division. 

The WAP511 and in general none of our access points in the Small Business Division has a load balancing feature.  Roaming is not an option either.   All this features are available in the Enterprise level devices.

For your particular symptoms, these are some settings that I would suggest you to try:

1) Please update the device to the latest firmware available.

2) Go to the Wireless-Bandwidth Utilization tab and disable Bandwidth

Utilization.

3) Go to the Wireless-Radio tab and under Legacy Rate Sets supported and

basic disable rates 1 and 2.

4) Change fixed multicast from auto to 54.

5) Disable the "Broadcast key refresh rate" duration from 300 seconds to 0

seconds.

I also have this issue and have tried your advice and had to reboot it the next day. I only have one AP. 

I also turned of the Green Ethernet

Turn off QoS

Turn off WDS Bridge Spanning Tree Mode

Wifi Multimedia off

Still have to reboot the access point every 3-10 days.

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

To add what my fellow engineer said, also go to the LAN - Port Settings Tab and disable Green Ethernet. If this is also connected to a switch with Green Ethernet capabilities, I would turn that off for the port that the WAP is connected to as well.

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.