cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP200 Multiple SSID with Trunk

josephenix
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WAP200's code level version 2.0.4.0 connected to two  SFE2000 24port, one switch per building. I have 3 vlans that I want to  bridge between those two switches. I know the trunks on the switch are  setup correctly because I can connect them directly and test all vlans.

I  am able to get the untagged Vlan 1 to work fine with the bridge, but I  have issues with the tagged Vlans 2 and 3. I have checked that I have  the correct SSID tied to the correct Vlan number. I cause the whole  network to lock up when I try to add the other SSID MAC addresses to the  AP Mode -> AP Mode -> Wireless Bridge -> "Remote Wireless  Bridge's MAC Addresses:" section. The wireless lights and ethernet  lights go solid.

Should I be adding the additional MACs there?

Does the WAP200 even support multiple VLAN/SSID?

Network diagram:

SFE2000 --trunk-- WAP200 --(((((3xSSIDs)))))--WAP200--trunk--SFE2000

2 Replies 2

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

When using the Bridge mode of this AP or any other, one thing that you need to remember is that when in bridge mode no wireless client can connect to the devices, just another Wireless G AP in bridge mode.

See excerpt from admin guide.

IMPORTANT: In Wireless Bridge mode, the Access Point can ONLY be accessed by another access point set to Wireless Bridge mode. In order for your other wireless devices to connect to the Access Point, you must reset it to Access Point mode. The two modes are mutually exclusive.

WAP200 (Wireless Bridge mode)

With this in mind, there is no need to setup multiple SSIDs in this device. You should be able to setup your vlans and then tag and untag as needed for the on SSID to connect through the bridge.

If this doesn't work for you, please call into our Small Business Support Center and let one of our answering agent walk through this with you. 1-866-606-1866

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

This is the response I received from Cisco Small Business Support:    

Greetings, I am witting this e-mail to follow up regarding your open service request. I got the chance to speak with Eric regarding your issue, unfortunatly he has confirmed with Tier 2 support that the bridging on any of our  wireless access points can only pass one vlan traffic and not multiple. Eric did not mean to confuse his audience with that post he just assumed this could be done.  You may need to consider an enterprise level access point  like an Aironet AP, if you are interested here is the pre-sales phone number 1-303-309-9852

Thanks--

Despite the Cisco website saying "Supports 4 BSSID and 802.1Q VLAN to service set identifier (SSID) mapping"

I did not think it supported 802.1Q trunking on the wireless interface but I did think this would allow you to tie an SSID to each Vlan and bridge those connections.

The WAP200 will allow you to have multiple SSIDs each on its own Vlan, in AP mode.

Despite this small problem these are still good products and the support was good.