Views
Helpful
Replies

Wap200 roaming problems

kkaczmarski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I know that there was couple of similar topics but none of them seems to be solved.

We have 6 AP's WAP200, all of them configured with the same SSID and diffrent channels. When i walk with a terminal or a laptop it looses couple pings when roaming between these ap's. Can anybody help me with that???

I can see that i'm not loosing the signal so terminal associates with another ap immediately but then it looses connectivity to the ip network for a bit. With laptop it is not a problem but with termianls it is a huge one because it terminates user sessions with telnet server.

Please help !!!!

5 Replies 5

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

With any of the small business AP's when roaming between AP's you are going to have a small drop like you are experiencing. The main reason for this is that within the small business arena none of our AP's can do seamless roaming. The one exception is for the AP541N access points which can be clustered together. But even those will have a small drop when roaming between AP's.

The only option for total seamless roaming is moving up to an Enterprise level of AP's that can be controlled by a Wireless LAN Controller. With that scenario Your WLC controls the roaming and keeps the clients associated without any loss of connectivity.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but if the terminal connectivity is mission critical I would consider looking at some of the solutions our Enterprise group has in that area.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Ok then what about chnaging 5 of them to wireless repeater mode??? would it be any better or not???

or maybe changing some settings like someone wrote:

Reduce the beacon interval to 50 and change the fragmentation threshold  to 2306. And change RTs threshold to 2304. See if it connects quickly.

Please let me know if any of these 2 options would work for me....

kkaczmarski
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone???  Pls

Hi Krystian -- Thanks for participating in the Small Business Support Community. I just want to reiterate Eric's reply above. The behavior you describe is expected for the WAP200 access points.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Hello Krystian

Sorry for the late reply, today has been a very busy day at the Support Center.

Regardless of the mode, you will get the same response. Making changes to the settings while possible, is something that should be done as a last resort. When the product comes from the factory, it is already configured for the ideal configuration. In your instance, it might make it connect a little quicker but you would still see a drop in the wireless as the new AP picks up.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866