cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 does not support AES on HP Printer but WAP121 does.

bob.hornick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP121 that only supports 2.4GHz.

I replaced it with a WAP371 for the 5GHz and the speed is much better.

Problem is, we have an HP m475dw wireless printer. It worked fine on the WAP121 with WPA2-AES.

When I set up the WAP371 identically, the HP will not print. If I also check WPA-TKIP for the 2.4GHz band, it connects. If I uncheck WPA-TKIP, it will not connect.

If I hook up the WAP121 again, the printer connects no problem. Put the WAP371 back, the WAP371 needs TKIP.

Why would the cheaper WAP121 work properly and the WAP371 not?

I this a firmware goof or is it by design. If so, its being returned.If not, when can the firmware be fixed?

Current firmware on the WAP371 is 1.2.1.3.

Thanks,

Bob.

3 Replies 3

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, my name is Jonathan and i am one of the engineers here at the Cisco sbsc team.

I apologize for the issues with the units, please let me know the following so we can isolate the issue as much as possible.

Is this issue happening as well with other devices on your network(phones, tablets , laptops) or is this happening to the printer only?

Have you tried with no encryption at all as well, let me know if it connects. and let's try with a different combination of the password.

i would suggest to do a reflash of the firmware and as well a factory reset and try to connect again with the wpa aes settings, the wap371 does support aes and it has the TKIP for devices that require this, so indeed is a bit weird that the wap121 connects with no issues, please try this recommendations if you still have the unit, regarding a new firmware i would suggest to keep an eye on the website as we don't have the specific date a new version can be released.

thanks and have a great day.

Johnathan,

I have upgraded to 1.3.0.4 back in October 2017 and then to 1.3.0.6 just now (January 2018). I am extremely disappointed. I still have to use WPA-TKIP to connect.

My other devices work fine on 5 GHz and I don't have anything else than runs at 2.4 GHz. However, I have tried them without WPA-TKIP and they use WPA2-AES at 2.4 GHz just fine.

Bob.

François
Level 1
Level 1
Hello

I did too upgrade firmware to 1.3.0.6, and can't connect my printer anymore. With previous firmwares (up to 1.3.0.4, though I am not 100% sure for the 1.3.0.4 but certainly for all versions before that) I was able to connect the printer through WPA2-AES provided 'MFP' was set to 'Not Required' (config of Virtual Access Points on page Wireless\Networks). But since 1.3.0.6 it simply does not work anymore.

I do have two Amazon Kindles (different generations) that simply can't (and never could) connect to WAP with WPA2-AES, I did have to activate WPA-TKIP just for them... and now for the printer as well.

Shame a Cisco product causes so much trouble.

Notice I already tried factory reset, blahblah... with all devices. Does not help and made me loose and incredible amount to time.

Please help!

François