Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 issues with Apple

mathiasdegroof
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have recently installed a WAP371 access point for a customer. It's the first time I installed this model. When I tested it everything seemed fine, but the customer reports that he very often has problems connecting to the access point and he also has frequent dropouts. I replaced the WAP371 with an Apple Airport Express and the customer reports no problems with the Airport Express.

The WAP371 has the latest firmware, all settings are default except for the SSID and WPA key. It is powered by PoE. I don't know if it's relevant, but the customer uses Apple products (Macbook, iPhone, iPad...).

10 Replies 10

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

In the new firmware 1.2.0.2, there is an option MFP under the SSID if the unit is using "N" speed.  We have found disabling this feature has resolved quite a few disconnect issues.  

The way to set this to "Not Required" is to:
This option is located where you configure the SSIDs (so Wireless->Networks then there's a link under each SSID to "Show Details"), but it ONLY appears if you disable WPA-TKIP.

If it is set to "Capable" (the default) then the WAP will expect clients that advertise they support it to have to use it. If set to “Required” then only wireless clients that can use PMF will be allowed on this SSID. If set to “Not Required” – self-explanatory.  I would set this setting to “Not Required”  

If your customer needs TKIP enabled, just disable it first, make the change for MFP, and then set TKIP back to enabled.

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try it.

Great info Eirc!!

@mathiasdegroof Did this work for you?

Regards

I made the change today at the customer's site. I'll have to wait for his feedback...

you changed the settings, did it work for you? I'am planning to buy a cluster of 5 WAP371 accespoints for an customer but with this issues i doubt to do so... 

No it didn't make any difference in my case. I went on site and I didn't experience any issues at all, both with Apple and Windows products. The customer still has issues though (even with the modified setting). I will do a spectrum analysis and see if anything shows up.

I am sorry to hear that this didnt resolve the issue. Please call in and open a case with one of our Engineers so that we can help resolve this issue.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Dear Eric!

We had a cluster with 7 x WAP371 and no luck with your solution suggest. After we went down to the previous release 1.1.2.3. it works fine for us.

(You can easy and fast install over the Cluster Firmware Update feature.)

Regards,

Christian

Thank you Christian. I will try this. Mine had a sticker on it saying "make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware", so that's what I did :-)

lgousenbourger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have 4 WAP371 for some years now. Since some time, my apple devices are continuously disconnected. I use the last version of the firmware, which was published in 2019. My laptops are working fine. No disconnection observed. Maybe this is due to new version of apple devices. I observed also that going from one AP to another one is not working well anymore. I lost the connection in that case as well.

Any idea?

I have the impression that these access points begin to be old and that there is no new relase anaymore.

But I expect it to be still working.

Thanks,
Laurent