cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N- Cannot add additional SSIDs. Only 1 SSID available.

vdinenna71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to split the usage of the AP so that visitors are on their own wireless connnection and VLAN.

We have 2 WAP4410N APs.  One AP acts as a repeater for the another AP.

They are both in 4.0.4.2 firmware.

We are using WPA2 RADIUS authentication, and would like for visitors to use WPA2 PSK.

Under Wireless tab, I have 1 SSID, but the other 3 available boxes for SSIDs are greyed out.

When I click in them, they will not allow me to type an ID.

I watched a video of how to add SSIDs and VLANs, and it looked simple enough.

He just clicked in the box and was able to add more IDs.

Could my current config be preventing me from adding additional SSIDs?

Thanks in advance,

Vince

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello vdinenna71

The WAP4410N does support multiple SSIDs, but only in AP mode. The use of repeater mode will limit your wireless to only one SSID.

If you can get all the APs to be wired, you could set them each to AP mode and have multiple SSIDs.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rocater
Level 3
Level 3

Hello vdinenna71

The WAP4410N does support multiple SSIDs, but only in AP mode. The use of repeater mode will limit your wireless to only one SSID.

If you can get all the APs to be wired, you could set them each to AP mode and have multiple SSIDs.

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.  I can setup the APs wired.  I will test it and let you know the results.

Thanks,

Vince

Robert,

The solution worked fine.  The AP setup a trunk, I set the trunk on the Cisco 2970 and with some other configuration, the wireless client gets an IP, DFGW and DNS info from a different network.

I haven't put the second AP on the same SSID because I had a problem in the past where doing so would take down the network somehow.

Will try again anyway.

The wireless client is having a problem getting out to the internet.  Wireless is on 192.168.41.0 network and the gateway to the internet is on the 192.168.100.0 network.  The wireless client can trace route to default gateway 192.168.100.1.  The default gateway on the client is set to 100.1.  Set static route on client from 41.1 router/VLAN interface to 100.0 network.

The router/modem can ping back to the client.  NSlookup fails from the client to the ISP DNS server; can't resolve DNS server.  I have set the helper-address in the Dell L3 switch.  Have also tried OpenDNS servers, but no joy.  Not sure where it's tripping up. Thought it might be an arp issue, but have not tried arp-proxy yet.  I read it is a security issue and it broadcasts.

I can't be the first person to want to route Internet traffic through a different network.  There has to be a solution.

We have two DFGWs, one is production and the 100.0 is for backup in case production goes down.  Also using 100.0 for some traffic that is non-critical (so the link just doesn't sit there doing nothing) such as visitor wireless.

Any ideas off the top of your head?  Let me know if I should place the question on a different forum.

Thanks,

Vince

BTW-  there are no internal DNS servers on the 192.168.41.0 network, only on the 192.168.1.1 production network.

Hi Vince,

Glad to hear you got it working. For the second AP, make sure it is also set to AP mode before connecting it wired. When it is a repeater and wired, it will cause a broadcast storm which does bring the network down. This happens because all traffic received on the wireless is sent out the wired and vice versa.

The other problem you are having with access to the internet could be caused by a few things. One of the most common is routing. This doesn't seem to be your issue as you can reach the gateway and from the gateway back to the client. Another issue could be NATing. I don't know what router you are using, but if it does not support multiple subnets, it could be sending the request out to the internet without NAT.

"it could be sending the request to the internet without NAT"

I see, so when the response comes back, it doesn't know where the request came from?

It does have 1 to 1 NAT capabilities and we are using it.  I imagine that it can do NAT on an internet request, but maybe it can't find it's way back to the orignal network?

It's Comcast Business internet connection using an SMC modem/router.

They do not give us access to the WAN side of the config on the router, only the LAN side.

I may just have to move the wireless VLAN to the 100.0 network where the SMC router resides or subnet the 100.0 network for a range of address just for wireless.  But, I might end up with the same problem...

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: