cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N shows only one SSID

christonjp
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4410N set up on my network. I'm using 4 VLANs on my network, of which, I use my default VLAN 1, as the "public" VLAN which we use to give our clients free WiFi. I would like to have two SSIDs visible from the access point, one unsecured and connected to VLAN 1, and the other secured with WPA2 and connected to our office VLAN on which various servers and resources are available. My preference is for both SSIDs to be visible, as there is not a major security issue and as the only IT person, I do not have time to configure every computer which uses the network with the SSID, but I'll do that if I have to.

I set up the 4410N with it's first SSID using our public WiFi name and did not put any security on it. I went to the VLAN page and set it to use VLAN 1 as both the default VLAN and the VLAN for the first SSID. Then I went back to the Basic Settings page and added a second SSID and chose "Enabled". I went to the Security page and left most things as default (Wireless Isolation between SSIDs is enabled) and changed the security settings for the office SSID to WPA2-Personal. Finally I went to the VLAN page and set it's VLAN to 4.

When I go back to my computer, or from other wireless devices, I only see the public SSID, not the office. I do see on my computer (Win7 x64) an "Other Network" option, but the signal strength on that network is significatnly weaker than that of the public SSID. Also, if I try to connect to it using the office SSID name and the password I set, it doesn't connect.

Am I completely misunderstanding how multiple SSIDs are supposed to work? I am working from a lot of assumptions here. Either way, any help that can be provided would be great!

PS I have no clue if this would affect it, but in the interest of listing all possible factors, the 4410N is powered via PoE and the switch port it is connected to is set to 802.1Q with 1-4 set as the VLANs.

**EDIT**

After posting this I discovered that in the Wireless Status page, both SSIDs are listed, but only one (the public SSID) has a MAC listed. I assume I need to add one somewhere. Where should I do this, and what's a "safe" MAC to use that won't conflict with anything?

**EDIT**

Message was edited by: Christon Pierce

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I am attaching a document that should give you the information that you are looking for.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If this helps, remember to mark this thread as answered.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I am attaching a document that should give you the information that you are looking for.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If this helps, remember to mark this thread as answered.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

The document was very helpful. It turned out to be a firmware issue. I thought I had the latest firmware, but I found another page with newer firmware. Once I updated, the second SSID was assigned a MAC address, and it became visible.

I am glad to here that. Please let us know if we can be of assistance on anything else.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866