cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N wireless repeater setup issues

cmutchler34
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased two WAP4410N access points (one two months ago, the second over the weekend) and due to the footprint of my home I am trying to setup the secondary AP as a wireless repeater. All of the Google results for how to configure the two access points are several years old and none have proven useful. I am hoping to recieve configuration guidance on how to setup the two APs.

I updated both APs to the latest firmware from Cisco (2.0.7.8).

Primary AP Configuration:

- Connected to a 10-port Cisco SG300.

- Wireless set to operate on Channel 11, with a single SSID and SSID broadcast is enabled.

- Wireless security settings - wireless isolation betweed SSID enabled.

- Security mode is set to WPA2-Personal, disabled wireless isolation, AES and 3600 second key renewal.

- VLAN and QoS settings - Enabled VLAN, VLAN tagged and both are set to operate on VLAN ID 2. The SSID is set to operate on VLAN 2 as well.

- Access point is enabled and the checkbox for allowing the wireless to be repeated is checked. The MAC address of the secondary AP is listed in MAC 1 text field.

Secondary AP Configuration:

- Not connected to any switch.

- Wireless set to operate on Channel 11, with a single SSID that was populated when I setup the AP mode.

- AP Mode is set to Wireless Client/Repeater. Using the Site Survey tool, I chose the SSID from the primary AP.

- Wireless security settings - wireless isolated between SSID enabled.

- Security mode is set to WPA2-Personal, disabled wireless isolation, AES and 3600 second key renewal.

- The security key is identical to the one set on the primary access point.

- VLAN and QoS settings. Enabled VLAn, left the management pieces to the default to prevent me from being locked out. The SSID is set to operate on VLAN 2.

A reboot of both APs post-configuration and then nothing. No indication the secondary AP is actually repeating the signal. Monitoring the wireless signal strength on the MBP, the signal continues to match readings I took before configuring the repeater.

I have tried using WEP for the security mode, per some of the suggestions online from a few years ago, however they didn't seem to make a difference. I am definity not going to disable all security and would prefer to not use WEP at all. I also tried using configuring the secondary AP in the Wireless WDS Repeater mode -- no joy there either.

One of the primary reasons I chose the WAP4410N model was its ability to act as both an AP and a AP repeater. I assumed (incorrectly perhaps) that running identical models of the AP would make the configuration and setup a bit simpler/easier.

Has anyone been able to configure two of these APs to work together as a AP/repeater combination? If so, what do I need to do? If it isn't possible, does anyone have a suggestion on an upgraded Cisco AP model that has really great signal strength? I have considered trying to purchase an enterprise-grade system, but I am not ready to give up on the current setup just yet. 

Both APs were purchased new from Amazon, if that matters.

Thanks.

0 Replies 0