cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS bridging between AP541N & WAP4410N incompatible?

jlaay-diode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I 've bought an AP541N & WAP4410N for the purpose to wireless(ly) bridge my TV with the Internet.

The AP541N is connected to a AS5505 > Internet.

My TV is connected to the ethernet port of the WAP4410N. (Also tried my laptop)

I 've set WDS bridging on both APs:

- with and without encryption

- with same and different SSID and/or channel

In AP541N I can see that the WDS is up.

However I cann't ping the WAP441N (hardset IP-address in same subnet as AP541N) from the AP541N.

Therefore not strange that my TV/laptop doesn't get an ip-address through DHCP.

Has anyone tried this and got it working?

Although I tried this for home purposes, I gathered that if it worked it would be a nice SMB solution.

I 'm a freelancer and I want to be sure that what I propose as a solution/option actually works.

I 've read in this forum that it might not work because of incompatible chipsets?

If this is the case Cisco should mention in the datasheets so I don't waste my money or loose my credibility !!!!

Thanx,

Jaap

PS. latest firmware installed on both

2 Replies 2

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Yes sir, your information is correct. One of the stipulations for WDS to work is that both devices connecting to each other have compatible chipsets. The AP541N is based on the Broadcom Chipset and the WAP440N is based on the Atheros Chipset.

With either of those two AP it would be best to have two of the same. What type of router do you have? Let me see what other ideas I might can come up with.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.

You can imagine that I am disappointed.

In the documentation, be it datasheets or administration guides etc, I have seen no remarks about this.

Am I correct?

At home I ''ve got an ASA5505 and a 881 router to play with. Both without wifi.

Some functions I like to have seperate, although it's less cost-effective.

No options there.

With regards,

Jaap