Views
Helpful
Replies

Weak WiFi signal on WAP561

deriksson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

After many changes in the WAP561 configuration, the WiFi speed (90Mbit/s) is now satisfied on Apple Iphone 6.

We had maximum 18MBit/s and the speedtest was unstable/flack during the test with a "normal" setup (WPA-PSK2, 20/40mhz etc.).

I have upgraded to the latest firmware on WAP561, but the WiFi signal is still very weak/poor on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

The 2.4GHz is less bad than the 5GHz.

I´m sitting 2 meters from the WAP561 and have maximum 70% WiFi signal. If I move another 5 meters, it's

almost drop the connection. I have tried many AP´s in the same location without having this problem. We have tried

the WAP561 in 3 different enviroments (all with a open space) with the same result.

The "measurement" of the signal strength is done with an iPhone 6 and Sony's latest smartphone, the signal comes and goes

and alway's poor. The WAP561 has 10 antennas with 5dbi, it should be at least stronger or the same as routers for home users!

Best Regards,

Dennis

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Dennis,

The WAP561 does have 10 antennas but they are not all used at the same time. There are 5 that are dedicated to the 2.4 GHz radio and 5 for the 5 GHz radio. With the WAP500 series access points we have a feature called SmartSignal Antenna technology. The nuts and bolts of this is that of the 5 antennas for each radio, some are oriented for Table or Ceiling placement and some are oriented for wall placement. (The number is 2 and 3, but I forget at this moment which number goes with wall and which with table/ceiling) and an orientation sensor is used to determine which antennas will be used.

The other thing that I would like to clarify is that 2.4 GHz will always have a farther reaching signal over 5 GHz.  The reason for this is that the signals are different. 2.4 Ghz is a longer wave and will have a farther reach than the 5GHz wave which is a shorter wave.(Also with 5 GHz it is not able to penetrate obstacles (walls, doors, glass, etc) as easily. I would state that I would always opt for a 5 GHz wave when I can, because over that shorter distance, the '5" would be stronger and have a clearer field(less outside interference) 

With this said, Have you looked at your wireless environment? Are there other wireless signals around? What about other causes of interference, machinery, cordless phones, microwaves, fluorescent lights?

I would ask that you call into our Support Center and open a case. One of our Engineers would be glad to work with you to help improve your wireless reception if possible.

Once you have a case, come back and let me know. I will also be glad to check on your case and assist the engineer if I can help.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful documents Posts and Documents. Let others know when you find helpful information.

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for your answer!

Indeed, the antennas operates separately for the different waves, but it shouldn’t be notable within a open/free distance of just a few meters. There are no interference like walls etc. to claim. Actually, the customers neighbours WiFi signal is more stable and has the same signal strength, even when it's located in another facility (at least 35 meters away). The neighbour uses a Gateway (cheap) sent from the ISP. 

As mentioned before. We have tested the WAP561 in different locations, always the same result.

I will check the function "SmartSignal Antenna", which I have totally missed in the GUI for WAP500.

After discussions with our distributors Cisco representive, they think that the Antenna interface-card is not connected, therefore the AP operates without using the Antennas.

Cisco UK have accepted the RMA and we will receive a new AP.

Even though this problem is most likely a hardware issue, I must still say that the Cisco WAP-series (121, 371, 555, 561) does not leave up to the same signal- and speed level, as other cheaper makers: ASUS, TP-Link, Netgear and DLink.

I understand that the problem are probably because of the QoS settings, but no matter how I set up the QoS (turned off, manually setting etc.), it won´t manage to deliver stable speed or signal. 

I have followed a lot of discussion threads on both Cisco, MSDN and Apple, tried "everything" with the IOS- and the Cisco settings.

The Cisco Aironet doesn´t have these problems. Yes, they are much more expensive but the WAP is still a "Cisco product"(?). I have setup hundreds of different access points from different makers, both cheap and expensive AP's. The WAP-series and I doesn´t come along. I'm not satisfied if the AP delivers 70, 80 or 90%.

I will contact your Support centre to see if there is something ells I have missed.

Thank you very much,

Best regards

Dennis 

I would suggest calling in and opening a case with one of our engineers. Working together, with some troubleshooting they should be able to help scan your environment for outside interference, look at placement and possible attenuation, diffraction and absorption. Also they can help determine if there is a hardware issue.

Once you have a case opened, let me know and I can assist as well if needed. I know all of the engineers in the US Support Center since I have helped train them all.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert