Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Died

I have a WRVS4400N that died on me.  Not only did it take down my laptop from work, but it also killed internet access to my home computer through the pass through connection.  Of course the routers warranty expired 9 months ago.  In looking for a new router all the research points to the WRVS4400N as one of the best out there.  Just over three years ago I paid around $180.00 and this 4 year old design is now $225.00 which one would think the same technology being around for that amount of time would come down in price, not go up.  I am hesitant to invest around $200.00 in a new router if the reliability is only 3 years.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  What is the typical longevity for a wireless router that is used in the home and not as a small business router.  Igot this one because of the VPN protocal it offers.

2 Replies 2

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Dick,

Since it seems to have brought down your entire network, it seems as if this was an IP address conflict on the router. I have seen this behavior when the ISP Company does an update to the modem that in front of the router and turns on certain features like NAT. Most devices usually have the same default ip address of 192.168.1.1. If this is what took place then solution might be easy.

You say the WRVS4400N is dead? How are you determining that the router is completely dead?

1st Please plug a PC directly into WRVS4400N and only the router and PC.

2nd Reboot router

3rd Now find out what or if the router has given you any IP address information.

4th If it has please try to log into the router @ your PC default gateway address.

If this did not work, please try holding the reset button on back and the router for about 45 seconds; now pull power from unit let sit for about 2 minutes. Plug power back up and go back though steps above.

Post results of this test!

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Jasbryan,

I had tried everything you have listed below when the router first went down except the reset. The router has been disconnected and in its box ever since because I could not get internet access so my main home PC was connected directly to the cable modem. This morning I re-connected the router and still could not get internet access with my computer hardwired to the router so I tried the reset, disconnected power and re-booted. Still no access. I then re-booted my cable modem (again) after the router reset and now everything seems to be working.

I always have our main home PC hardwired to the router and always did. Since doing the actions described above our second computer now has internet access as well as my laptop from work with VPV access. The un-easy thing is I don’t understand why this works now when the initial trials didn’t. We will keep an eye on things and hope this doesn’t re-occur.

Thanks for your help.

Dick Morgan