ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1562E - Antenna Band Mode

kevinks1987
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to setup a MESH toplogy involving 2 x 1562E outdoor APs, 1 WLC 3504 and 2.4Ghz Omnis and 5Ghz directional antennas.

The issue I am having is when configuring the Antenna Band Mode from "Dual" to "Single"

From the following post (https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvg35226/?rfs=iqvred), I understand that I need to downgrade the APs software version from 8.5.103.0 to 8.4.100.0 but how is this done via the WLC? 

The way that I found on how to login to the WLC, goto Wireless tab, then on the left menu under "Access Points", select "Global Configuration", scroll to the bottom of the page, and select "Download Backup" which in my case points to the software version 8.4.100.0 for the APs. I then save the WLC configs and perform a graceful restart from the GUI. When the WLC gets back online, I can see the original software version associated with the APs but then after 5mins, the WLC pushes the version 8.5.103.0 back to the APs. 

Any help is most welcome.

Regards,

KS

5 Replies 5

I understand that I need to downgrade the APs software version from 8.5.103.0 to 8.4.100.0 but how is this done via the WLC? 

Yes, you have to downgrade WLC software as APs getting image from WLC. Then you can fix it as per the bug description. Downgrade process is same as upgrade process. Refer release notes for more detail.

Here is CLI method, if you prefer that

https://mrncciew.com/2013/03/14/downgrading-wlc-software/

Once fix, you can upgrade to 8.5.120.0 (Do not use 8.4.100. 0 as it is one step release, not more update on 8.4.x)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Do I need to downgrade the WLC's software version or the AP's software version?
  2. Both the AP and the WLC have backup software. Do you have a guide or a link on how to do it via GUI?
  3. I no longer have access to download the any images from Cisco, but can I use the backup software version from the WLC? My understanding is that the APs had a software version (8.4.100.0) installed, and this was replaced by the WLC's software version 8.5.120.0

Thanks for helping.

Regards,

KS

Hi Kevin,

1. Do I need to downgrade the WLC's software version or the AP's software version?
    Yes, you have to downgrade WLC software, then automatically APs will be downgraded to match WLC image version.
  2. Both the AP and the WLC have backup software. Do you have a guide or a link on how to do it via GUI?
    From your WLC, issue "show boot" command & verify both primary & backup boot images available
    (2504-WLC) >show boot
    Primary Boot Image............................... 8.5.120.0 (default) (active)
    Backup Boot Image................................ 8.3.102.0

Then you can issue "reset system" command (i have given reset in 5min using backup image)

(2504-WLC) >reset system in 0:5:0 image swap reset-aps save-config

Once restarted, you will see your WLC & APs with your backup image version.

(2504-WLC) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
    Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
    Product Version.................................. 8.3.102.0

3. I no longer have access to download the any images from Cisco, but can I use the backup software version from the WLC? My understanding is that the APs had a software version (8.4.100.0) installed, and this was replaced by the WLC's software version 8.5.120.0

Without software download capability, you will be stuck with what you got, It is always advisable to have that support, as software bugs will be address through code upgrades.

HTH

Rasika

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

The WLC has only one software version on it (8.5.103.0) whereas APs have the following:
Primary: 8.5.103.0
Backup: 8.4.100.0

Is there a command that I can apply via the console port to the 1562E to make it boot on the 8.4.100.0 image?

Thanks.
KS

AP usually get recovery images, once it boot, it always sync with WLC software version. So even if we get AP boot on 8.4.100.0, once it register to WLC it will upgrade to 8.5.103.0.

I would suggest you to talk to local Cisco AM or partner that you bought these product and explain your issue. They may be able to provide you right software to fix your issue.

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card