Views
Helpful
Replies

1832 Mobility Express Hostname unkown

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5

Hello

we are using two 1832 AP's in Mobility Express Mode. The SSID is WPA2/PSK. Controller's internal DHCP Server is used. However, I don't understand why some Devices will show up with a Hostname and others as "unkown". I know that as long as I use PSK as Authentication the Username status "unkown" is correct! Please see attached Picture. Can someone please explain?

2020-02-09 12_48_34-Window.png

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The username is really for when you use 802.1x authentication. The username you see when using psk is because your device is sending that information and the controller will use that. If it’s not sent it shows up unknown. Again, this is typically used when 802.1x is configured on an ssid.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

just to be sure, with "username" you mean the "hostname" field as there is a username and a hostname field? I am talking about the hostname field.

It is strange to see that two of three iOS Devices with the same Version release are showing up hostname field and one does not :-(

Ah... I got confused with what was said. Well with that field, it also depends if the device sends that info or not.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card