cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2,4 GHz wireless connection E4200 router stops working

rayludwig
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday, suddenly (?) my wireless connection for 2,4 GHz stopped working correctly.

Here's the set up:

I have an E4200 Linksys router.

Furthermore I have a desktop running on Windows7 connected to the router with a wire. No problem there. I can connect to the Intenet via the E4200 and a modem.

Then I have a notebook also running on Windows7. Until yesterday it was wireless (2,4 GHz) connected to the router and to the Internet, but now I can see the router on the networklist (so there is connection), but it will not make contact to the Internet. If I hook up the notebook with a line to the router it works OK.

Then I have an iPad which makes a wireless connection to the Internet (via the router) for the 5 GHz option, but it does not make a connection with the 2,4 GHz option anymore (before yesterday this worked well).

I did not change any settings on the Linksys or other network options

Can an update from McAfee make a difference (only for 2,4 GHz?).

Ray

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anything is possible. If you have other devices that work fine in the 2.4, then you can eliminate the router. If you have other devices that can't join the 2.4, then it's the router. Try to default the router and use an open SSID to test to make a final decision if its your device.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I don't have any device which can join the 2.4. They both (notebook and iPad) stopped communicating at the same time.

What do you mean with "defaulting the router". The 2.4 connection has it's own SSID. Do you want me to make another/new SSID?

Ray

I mean can't you reset the router to factory default? I would do that if you don't mind configuring it again. Then try a new SSID that is open authentication.

-Scott

Because I've working elements in my network (I have wired connection and wireless on 5 GHz), I'm a bit reluctant to go back to factory default.

But I will make screenprints of my current settings and give it a try

thanks anyway

You don't have to, but its just something I would test. You also should be able to save the configuration. So if you factory default, test with an open SSID and if that works, then you can restore the config or manually do it. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is getting a new router if the 2.4 radio failed on the one you have.

-Scott

Scott,

I did go back to the factory default and used a brand new SSID, but the same thing happened again. Yes, the router could be seen on the networklist (strong signal), but still no connection.

However, in the meantime my connection was restored every now and then. But with a terribly slow Internet. Still, after a while the connection was broken again.

One question: I re-installed the factory default via a browser (with the addres of the router). Does it make any difference to reset the router if I press the button on the back side of the router. I guess it's all the same.

The conclusion up now is: the 2.4 railed fails for an unknown reason.

How can I be sure that the router (the 2.4 part) is really broken? Is it still possible that one of my neighbours installed a new device which influences this frequency? I do live in an appartment with a couple of neighbours.

Ray

In the end it seemed that it was the firmware. I've update the firmware (according a tip via another forum) and it worked.

I still don't understand what caused the sudden failure, but that's a minor priority.

Problem solved and everything works fine on all frequencies

Firmware has an impact if one the you had was buggy. This also is the same for client devices. It's usually the last step you take in troubleshooting but does help in some situations.

-Scott

chuckphoto2011
Level 1
Level 1

The E4200 router goes out all the time. Power went out yesterday AM. ??? If could get the E4200 to blink/flash it would boot again. Anyone know the solution. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card