Views
Helpful
Replies

2 - 5508's with the Same SSID's

mjensen323
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have approximately 400 AP's across 8 sites, over the next 2 years we could near the 7,000 client capacity, but have invested a significant amount of money in not only the 5508, but the adder licenses and a secondary HA-SKU controller.

If you we would purchase an additional 5508 controller, perhaps even used, with 100 licenses for a larger site, and have the same SSID configuration (I realize we would have to maintain 2 separate controllers / configurations) and "balance" the number of clients, would the actual clients know the difference when / if they roamed?

The clients would not be in the same site, but at times, could travel between the sites in the same day.

I was trying to buy some time before upgrading to a different controller, with a completely new licensing scheme..

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as all the clients and APs from one site join the one controller I don't think there will be any issues.

However if you are buying a new controller, why not buy a 5520 WLC.  Then longer term you would already be part way towards migrating to a newer platform.

Also, have you looked into using the Cisco Technology Migration Program, and trading in your 5508's (and all their licences) on 5520's?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card