cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5506w-x unable to access wifi module

bnielsen2005
Level 1
Level 1

First off, forgive me if this is a simple matter. I have searched all over and have not found a valid answer. I have a 5506w-x that I got for a lab setup as I am a first-year student in a cybersecurity college course. It was still configured from the previous owner and password protected so I cleared the ASA section and updated to newer 9.9.2 software. That process went well and functions as it should. I cleared out the firepower module and updated the software for it to 6.2.3 and that works as it should. I can access both of those from ASDM as should be. The issue I have is that the WLAN module has become unresponsive now. I cannot access it via CLI as it just hangs forever issuing 'session wlan console' using Putty. I tried to do a reset with ' hw-module module wlan recover image', ' hw-module module wlan recover configuration', or 'hw-module module wlan reset' and none of those seemed to do anything. Is there any way to recover the module or to reinstall an image?  I tried to contact Cisco, but they will not help without a service contract. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am still new to this and learning.

Thank You.

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never worked on one of those, but here is a guide if you haven't seen it already:

How to Enable the Wireless Access Point (ASA 5506W-X)? – Router Switch Blog (router-switch.com)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have looked over that guide and I cannot get past the step 2 where it says recover the module due to not being able to access.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check this thread : https://community.cisco.com/t5/atas-gateways-and-accessories/asa-5506w-x-wifi-not-working/td-p/2827042

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I did look over that document and I still am not able to even enable the module to get to the GUI page for setup. It has no WIFI indicator on anymore even though doing a sh mod command shows the module up/up but no other information.

Do you see any errors when you boot the device up?  Is it possible that the module is bad?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There are no reports of any errors while starting. All system checks pass.

- Connect to the device (SSH) with : https://cway.cisco.com/cli/ , then at the upper left press or run System Diagnostics.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I was able to get the software downloaded and connected, however I will not let me run the check. As I figured, I do not have a service contract, account association, or some other secret clearance to run it.

bnielsen2005
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I guess this ended quite abruptly. No more help or suggestions since I am not affiliated with Cisco? It's OK, I got the same response from them. No paying account? CRICKETS!

Thanks all.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card