Views
Helpful
Replies

5760 WLC and 5760 HA WLC question

rteel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I assume this information must exist... I just cannot locate it. Customer purchasing two 5760 WLCs:

1     AIR-CT5760-500-K9

1     AIR-CT5760-HA-K9

I am looking for info on how to configure these 2 WLCs to work together.  How do you inform the production WLC that a HA WLC is available to sync with? Do WLCs have to be L-2 adjacent, or will HA operate at L-3?  How does this HA setup work? etc.

Any help would be really appreciated.

43 Replies 43

Yea, What's up with that?  :-)

Well who really knows. I just have learned to ask my question and keep asking. That is why we really haven't deployed much of these as there isn't 100% compatibility yet.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Future MR release should have Prime support

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

I just setup 2x 5760 controllers, one was an HA sku. I put them in a mobility group together and I can move APs between by changing primary/secondary, even though the HA has 0 licenses. This is on 3.2.2.

I'm no sure if the mobility group is needed or not, but wanted them exchanging mobility messages. So far no issues.

Very Interesting piece of info there, jsnyder81. Do you have the WLCs on 2 different subnets? Or are they L-2 adjacent?

Thanks

Check for

Show license right-to-use

I have a feeling that the eval license must have kicked in

Ill post the show licensing right-to-use next week, but I can tell you that with the HA SKU there is no license to activate. It actually says in the output that the HA SKU is detected and also will not let you activate the eval or add ap licenses.

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

They are on the same subnet.

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

HA AP SSO is not supported on 5760 as of 3.2.2 release.

The 5760-HA sku is essentially the same as 5760-500. You just have to purchase the license and activate it on the 5760. 5760 use the right to use licensing.

We have received two 5760 of PID  AIR-CT5760-HA-K9.

Query 1: Can HA be achieved with both the boxes PID as AIR-CT5760- HA-K9?

No... You can't have two HA units. One has to be the normal part number and the other HA.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Guys,

Do we know if 5760 and 5760 HA can be configured on different subnets, or must they be L-2 adjacent?

Thanks

I think at the moment no. In the near future HA will work over Layer 3.

The 5760 needs to be connected with the stacking cable to operate in true HA mode. That way it'll work just like a stacked switch, all the ports visible from the primary. This should work on 3.2 and 3.3 code for the 5760.

There isn't any plans to support the 5760 over L3 since it's a stack switch and all AP-SSO/Client-SSO information is pretty latency sensitive. If we did support it in a later code release, it'd probably just be configuration and licensing sync like we currently do on AireOS controllers that aren't adjacent.

The best bet would be to physically connect them in the same data center or license them both and have two active/active controllers. That way you could load-balance as well.

_Nico

CCIEW #38552

We have one CT5760-HA-K9 as follow,If we buy another CT5760-25-K9 make pair, how many AP licsense we can get to use ? Thanks for your reply. CT5760#show in CT5760#show inve CT5760#show inventory NAME: "c57xx Stack", DESCR: "c57xx Stack" PID: AIR-CT5760 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC1748V4S1 NAME: "Switch 1", DESCR: "AIR-CT5760-HA--E" PID: AIR-CT5760-HA--E , VID: V02 , SN: FOC1748V4S1 NAME: "Switch 1 - Power Supply A", DESCR: "Switch 1 - Power Supply A" PID: PWR-C1-350WAC , VID: V01 , SN: LIT203334XN CT5760#show license right-to-use Slot# License name Type Count Period left ---------------------------------------------------------- 1 apcount eval evaluation 0 90 1 apcount adder 0 Lifetime CT5760#show license right-to-use de CT5760#show license right-to-use det CT5760#show license right-to-use detail Index 6: License Name: apcount eval Period left: 90 License Type: evaluation License State: Active, In use License Count: 1000 License Location: Slot 1 Index 7: License Name: apcount Period left: Lifetime License Type: base License State: Not Activated License Count: 0 License Location: Slot 1 Index 8: License Name: apcount Period left: Lifetime License Type: adder License State: Active, Not In use License Count: 6000 License Location: Slot 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card