cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7920s not cutting it, need alternative

knaufit2008
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently deploying a notable number of 7920 wireless handsets for local VOIP communication. However I am experiencing a very high attrition rate due to the nature of my site. Handsets fail constantly costing time and money to replace or repair.

Can anybody recomend a rugedized wireless handset that will work on Call Manager 4.1 over Cisco infrastructure? like my old 7920 do.

Even a rubberized case would be of interest, preferably one that designed to protect the keypad from spills and the phone from impacts.

6 Replies 6

olivds
Level 1
Level 1

Check out www.systemwear.com and www.zcover.com

Also, the Cisco 7921s seem to be much more durable.

Nice idea, but we also use charging cradles and these covers get in the way.

Yes the Cisco 7921G is our 2nd generation wireless IP phone and has much more features and enhancements. The 7920 phone has been end-of-sale since June 2007, so would suggest to go the 7921G route for any new deployments.

I can live without new features. What I need are phones that will last more than a month.

One of the highlighted features for the 7921 is that is more rugged as well.

For 7920 and if in a "rough" environment, then you may want to look at some of the carry case options.

It seems that the 7921 might be the only product on offer. I'm surprised that there isn't a special rugedized model available given that VOIP is one of the best ways to rapidly set up a communications network in areas such as disaster zones or construction sites withut having to lay down cables.

Saying that the environment here is rough is a little bit of an understatment. I've had phones partially smashed, poisoned by chemicals, and or simply rendered inopperable due to fouling. It's a task just keeping them opperable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card