Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 not getting ip

mirehteshamali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team ,

we have cisco 1240 AP's  managed via  wlc's  but  our cisco  7921  phones are not getting any ip ..it says configuring ip ..dhcp  timeout .  i am not  sure how i can troubleshoot this issue . our dhcp  server is configured on core switch itself. now i know the problem i  just need to know  how to proceed .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you connect a laptop to the same SSID, do you get an IP address?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you connect a laptop to the same SSID, do you get an IP address?

-Scott

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Whats the config like? Who is the dhcp server? Just the phone not getting an ip?

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

It could be that DHCP failed because the encryption between the access point and phone do not match.

For more clarity please refer to the troubleshooting guide for 7921:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7921g/6_0/english/administration/guide/7921trb.pdf

mirehteshamali
Level 1
Level 1

we are using wcs to manage  4404 controllers . we have three 4404 at our  main site and a separate controller at branch offices.

when i tried to  make configs in controllers via wcs  and restart them ,  individually  via wcs  we loose our PSK.  and wireless network goes down.

ie  from wcs --> configure -->controller--> select controller ip --> .... and make configs

i have to  go to DataCenter and  do  a hard reboot .  and use " template "  utility  to restore our PSK.

is  this  a known issue , wcs is having 6.x  .

Dhcp server is  on core switch . AP's  are connected to access layer  sw.  i can ping from controller to core switch

i  will try the following ..  use template config utility  and  change VOICE ssid to broadcast , then  set auth to none and try with my  laptops.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't like to push templates out. There are some templates that I would push out, but sending a template with preshared key or shared secrets have had issues. Make the changes manually on each WLC.

-Scott

Certainly i am making some mistake. my laptops also dont get ip address.  When i give static ip to 7291  every thing works.

i  have configured  " interface "  as  wireless-telephony  .

associated  it with  SSID.

Under  the interface   i  have assigned correct  dhcp server ip address  . it  is our hsrp ip address .

under core switches i did  make  a pool , with DG , DNS , tftp server ip address. etc

applied and saved the configs

controller can ping , DHCP server .

i am not  sure what  else i have to do  ...  your help will be appreciated

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try to remove the dhcp proxy from the WLC and see if that helps. You need to be able to get dhcp from a wired client first before you can get the wireless to work. Makes sure you set an IP helper also. Maybe it's an issue with using the hsrp address. Try using the management of the switch.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also make sure that the core has a split scope. This will prevent duplicate address.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: