cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11ac Wave2 AP connection to switch

dkeehan
Level 1
Level 1

When Cisco releases its 802.11ac Wave2 wireless access points how are they planning on connecting them to the cisco switches? Will the wireless access points be using fiber to connect back to switches so it can support greater than 1G (for example a 10G Module on a 3750) or will the wireless access points have multiple copper interfaces so etherchanneling can be used going back to the switch?  If fiber do we give up POE?

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think anyone will know what the phsycial connection will be until the spec is ratified, and the first AP is announced.

i would think that the AP would need/want greater than 1G connection to the AP, but that is purely my opinion.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I don't think it will be fiber and if you look at the 3600, its still a gigabit port.  You will have to understand you bandwidth limitations anyways and of course your channel overlap since you are using up to 80mhz channel widths.  That will not give you many channels to play with. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently, only the 3600 will support 802.11ac.  Take note, I said "WILL".   The add-on module (suspected release date of end of 2012 to March 2013) will require PoE+.  This module will also allow the 3600 to operate in both local and monitor mode.

Here's what this add-on module looks like:

More information can be found in this document:  Aironet 3600 Series Access Point Deployment Guide

NOTE:  I am not sure if the new 2600 will support 802.11ac.   No one has told me anything but if I will hazard a guess, the answer could be a "yes".

yea, what leo posted. if you purchase the 3600 and intend to add the ac module make sure you get the correct moutning plate.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

if you purchase the 3600 and intend to add the ac module make sure you get the correct moutning plate.

Have you tested the module yet?

Cisco wireless engineer from Sydney was asking for volunteers.  We declined.

Your right on George. It does require the universal bracket in order for it to fit. Cisco also mentions it's like the 1252 when it comes to power. Like Leo mentioned, you either have PoE+ or you would have to disable a radio to be able to supply enough power to the AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

For anyone following this tread here are the access point mouting options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/flyers/APbracketsAndClips.pdf

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott, George and everyone else,

I've made a wrong guess.  The 2600 will NOT support 802.11ac.  The quote below is from a Cisco Wireless SE from Sydney.

The 2600 is a 3500 AP but with extra antenna (3x4) which gives you up to 450Mbps throughput. This AP does not take you to 802.11ac so this is the major difference between our 3600 AP and the 2600's.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card