cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11g W2k problem, cant login...Please Help..

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am having problems using 802.11g client adapter on a windows 2000 enviroment it has to do with when domain authentication occurs in the startup

The main problem is:

Its almost like the Cisco utility isnt running as a service and/or the card isnt initializing on boot like the older 802.11b only cards did

Does anyone have a fix for that or a workaround?

5 Replies 5

dataIP
Level 1
Level 1

My post is a bit of a 'me too' rather than a solution to this problem, but I can give the following additional information.

I have tried three different a/b/g cards on three separate laptops and see exactly the same issue.

If you log in to the local machine, and configure the card you do get a connection. Restarting and the card does not associate until AFTER you log in to the machine.

The problem for me here is that in two of my configs, I need to browse for a tree to log in to (Novell Client32)... but at this stage no network is present.. as you have not logged in to the machine yet.

The issue occurs also with MS networking.

This is different behaviour to my Cisco b card which worked just as it should.

For reference, I am connecting to Cisco 1200 series APs, but the issue is definately client side.

Does Cisco have a solution for this issue?

richkrissi
Level 1
Level 1

I too have experienced this problem. Currently cisco tac has been working on this.

If you do not use the ADU for configuration and use Microsofts wireless config it will associate before you authenticate to your domain. As long as you have logged into a machine to your domain, even using cisco adu, you will still be able to log in with your cached account. During the login process your adaptor will associate with your ap.

I have a ticket with TAC and am still waiting for the fix in order to use the ADU.

Good news, the fix is now out on public release. Installed and tested on three machines today.... this issue now appears to be resolved.

Do you have more info to this fix?

The new driver was released publicly around the 18th of this month. It is available for download from http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-wireless.shtml

Client Adapter Install Wizard 1.1 for 802.11a/b/g (CB21AG and PI21AG) client adapters. Supports Windows 2000 and XP. Includes NDIS driver 1.1 and ADU 1.1.

I have installed the new version to a cpouple of HP/Compaq machines and a Toshiba machine today and 'enabling network before the login' issue has been resolved.

Appears to work for both Novell and MS clients.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card