Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1X authentication and roaming issues

goncalo.girao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have installed about 2 days ago one Cisco WCS 2504 and 11 APs. Everything is doing well regarding to WEP authentication. But I have a Radius Server that is alson running with some issues on wireless:

- Unless I open network settings and click connect on that config I cannot obtain a valid IP Address;

- Roaming is not working also;

FYI the certificate (on radius) has expired

TY

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not all these are radius issues

- WPA2 Wlan still ok (144Mbit), but dont know when roaming works (how can I know/change these settings?);

Look at the client adapter as there is usually a roaming aggressiveness option on these devices. Play around with that.

- Radius autenticated with 802.11 Data Encryption on 40 bits Key size connects always at 54Mbps (g) and auto authenticate but dont know when roaming works (how can I know/change these settings?);

802.11n only supports open authentication or WPA2/AES. WEP is not supported so that why you get up to 54mbps.

- Radius with 802.11 Data Encryption with none key size, doesnt authenticate connects 144Mbit but doesnt acquire IP Address

You have a configuration issue either in the WLC or the switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well fix the certificate. You can't use an expired cert.

-Scott

goncalo.girao
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. I'm renewing the Cert right now. I'll keep you informed.

BTW how can I create a WLan only to acess outside network (like a "guest") network?

TY

Cert installed, up and running!

Good to know. Certain do need to be valid or devices will reject it.

-Scott

Too soon hoorray:

I'm still getting issues regarding Radius;

- WPA2 Wlan still ok (144Mbit), but dont know when roaming works (how can I know/change these settings?);

- Radius autenticated with 802.11 Data Encryption on 40 bits Key size connects always at 54Mbps (g) and auto authenticate but dont know when roaming works (how can I know/change these settings?);

- Radius with 802.11 Data Encryption with none key size, doesnt authenticate connects 144Mbit but doesnt acquire IP Address

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not all these are radius issues

Look at the client adapter as there is usually a roaming aggressiveness option on these devices. Play around with that.

802.11n only supports open authentication or WPA2/AES. WEP is not supported so that why you get up to 54mbps.

You have a configuration issue either in the WLC or the switch.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card