cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9124AXD Embedded Wireless Controller 17.11.1 allow MESH for PtP

hafenps21
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure 2 9124AXD's (one RAP with EWC and one MAP) running ios 17.11.1 and the instructions say to click on the Mesh Tab but it doesnt exist. I have tried using different instructions and tried multiple times, but I am not able to get these 2 9124AXD's to work together. Both of the AP's will register with the EWC but I havent found a way to get them into a PtP Mesh. Here are the instructions I am following and I am trying to set the preferred parent from GUI or CLI. Both attempts fail. The error I get from CLI is: Mesh_Trace_Message-3-EWLC_MESH_EXEC_MSG: Shassis 1 R0/0: wncd: Error: Failed to set mesh preferred parent to AP <Base Radio MAC>

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Dublin 17.11.x - Mesh Access Points [Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers] - Cisco

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hafenps21
Level 1
Level 1

I found the solutions! I had to click on the wireless symbol at the top of the screen and select Advanced. Once I did that, the tabs for mesh and AP showed up. I dont know why Cisco made this as an option but this was it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi

Are those APs outdoors APs? Can you check the part number?

hafenps21
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, they are outdoor AP's. 

hafenps21
Level 1
Level 1

Some more info on them:

#sh ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.11.01
Cisco IOS Software [Dublin], C9800-AP Software (C9800-AP-K9_IOSXE-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 17.11.1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I am looking at

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-11/config-guide/b_wl_17_eleven_cg/m_mesh_ewlc.html?bookSearch=true#id_89940

Not sure if you also used that as I guide.

I see this information :

MAC Authorization

You must enter the MAC address of an AP in the controller to make a MAP join the controller. The controller responds only to those CAPWAP requests from MAPs that are available in its authorization list. Remember to use the MAC address provided at the back of the AP.

MAC authorization for MAPs connected to the controller over Ethernet occurs during the CAPWAP join process. For MAPs that join the controller over radio, MAC authorization takes place when the corresponding AP tries to secure an adaptive wireless path protocol (AWPP) link with the parent MAP. The AWPP is the protocol used in Cisco mesh networks.

Thanks for the help but the AP joins the EWC every time. The issue is that I should be able to select the AP Mode as Bridge but the only items in the list are Flex, Flex+Bridge and Clear. I should see Monitor, Sensor, Sniffer, Bridge, and Clear but I dont.

hafenps21
Level 1
Level 1

I found the solutions! I had to click on the wireless symbol at the top of the screen and select Advanced. Once I did that, the tabs for mesh and AP showed up. I dont know why Cisco made this as an option but this was it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card