Views
Helpful
Replies

A few miles point-to-point connection

pascal_parrot
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few questions:

Do I have to use aironet bridges at each site plus adequate antennas to reach a point-to-point (multiple points, linear) range of more than a few miles (each segment)? In other words, would it work and is it the only solution? Basically, I would like to know if I can still use all the range of products (AP, bridge, workgroup bridge) or not. The technical specifications of the products seem to impose the use of bridges.

Do the "bridge antennas" AIR-ANT3338 work with wireless access points or workgroup bridges (version with the two RP-TNC)? I am not sure about this since there are "access points antennas" with some of them that seem to be compatible with bridges.

Finally, in a few words, what are the differences between an access point and a bridge besides the range?

2 Replies 2

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Bridges talk to bridges, Access Points talk to clients.

Any Aironet antenna will fit and work, but make sure that you do not attach an antenna with more than 16dBi gain directly to a 350 series device (or an antenna with more than 21dBi gain on a 340 series) in order to ensure that you do not exceed the FCC's maximum RF power output regulations.

If you are trying to reach across several miles to a client device, make sure you consider the practicality of the antenna as well. You wouldn't ask a laptop user to carry around a 2 foot Yagi and keep it pointed at something they can't even see. You also wouldn't want to mount an antenna on the outside of a structure and connect it directly to a client (or anything else) without proper lightning protection.

And of course, don't forget line of sight and Fresnel requirements. Whether the far end is a bridge, a card or a WGB, you will need a clear, unobstructed path between the two high-gain antennas in order to create and maintain a connection.

**SEPARATELY, if you are asking about hopping across serveral devices to extend your reach, or expecting to cover great distanace using only small antennas, none of the products will do this right out of the box. You will need some professional assistance.

I read in a Cisco presentation that the 802.11 specification limits the distance of a wireless access point to 1 mile, but a wireless bridge can go 25 miles. Is that because of the high gain line of sight antennas used by the bridge or is it something else. The power output for both of them is only 100 mW.

Thanks,

Bruce

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card