cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A question about RF Grouping

jtpntx
Level 1
Level 1

Our school district has a large Wi-Fi network with over 4200 Catalyst 9K access points (APs) spread across multiple campuses. These APs connect back to a central data center with two Cisco Catalyst 9800 80 WLCs and two 9800 40 anchors.

We've been battling interference issues at a few campuses, causing connectivity problems. I'm still troubleshooting these issues, Meanwhile Im working around it mainly with DCA.

In this process, I came across the "RF Grouping" feature on the WLCs. With our current setup, I don't see a clear benefit to grouping them. Therefore, I'm considering disabling RF Grouping on both controllers.

There's a lot of information available on how to configure  RF Grouping, but I haven't found much about the potential consequences not using it.

Anyone have any experience with this? Would disabling RF Grouping in our scenario cause any problems?

4 Replies 4

Ypu use 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz rf profile?

MHM

jtpntx
Level 1
Level 1

both are default. 

5 mhz is less interference as I know.

MHM

jtpntx
Level 1
Level 1

There appears to be a Narrowband Jammer in the area. Haven't located the source. 
Meanwhile I can use various DCA methods to mitigate the effects. 
When you are on a controller other than the leader...it gets complicated.
So I see no need for the the RF Group joining the two controllers. They are indenpendent.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card