Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point issues

Gi.

Can someone help please? I am a complete novice.

I have purchased four second hand air-lap1142n-e-k9

I have one plugged into my British telecom router and I can see it on the router device map. I have tried to copy and paste the IP address into my URL bar so that I can be taken to the CISCO UI site to set it up.

However the the ip address will not take me to the CISCO UI. Can anybody advise how to get there through an alternative route.

6 Replies 6

Vince
Level 1
Level 1

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think air-LAP will require a wireless controller.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/70278-lap-faq.html

As Vince stated  the LAP (Lightweight Access Point) cannot function as stand-alone device.

the firmware is small and is just enough to register itself at a Wireless controller and load operational OS and config from there.

of course there is a way to convert LAP to AP , but you should not do this without proper licensing.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Can you console into it and send the output for show version ?

-hope this helps-

Hi.

Thanks for coming back to me. However I have no idea what you mean.

well I wanted to check if you are running an Autonomous image (where an AP can run standalone) or lightweight image (where AP must be managed by a wireless controller), depending on that i can suggest what you need to do to make it work.
-hope this helps-

Can anybody advise how to get there through an alternative route

the AP has a serial console port (colour coded blue)

1) you need a computer with a serial (COM:) port or a usb-to serial adapter

2) you need the Cisco Blue console cable (RJ-45 to DB9)

(2a) if your computer has a 25-pin serial port you need a converter cable from db9 to db25)

3) you need a terminal emulator like hypertem, terraterm, putty etc.

connect the computer to the AP console port and follow the instructions in the getting started guide

you may not have an autonomous firmware in the AP, but the lightweight image

which needs an wireless controller to build a working environment

but you can still check the version using the console connection described above 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card