cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accesspoint C9115AXI-EWC-E can we use it in standalone with out DNA SUBSCREPTION

C9115AXI-EWC-E  CAN we use these 2 access points standalone with out Any DNA subscription

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Everyone pays for the DNA "tax".  Period.  
Once you buy the APs, you can use it without a DNA appliance.  

As long as AP comes with EWC image, you can follow this guide and use it without having a dedicated controller or DNA-C

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html 

HTH

Rasika

BUT it will still require SMART license activation - although you get 90 day evaluation period from the time you turn it on. At the moment I don't think anything stops working when eval expires but Cisco can change that at any time.
Example with 9120 which is basically the same:
C9120AXI-WLC#show ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.02.01
Cisco IOS Software [Amsterdam], C9800-AP Software (C9800-AP-K9_IOSXE-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 17.2.1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)
AIR License Level: AIR DNA Essentials
Next reload AIR license Level: AIR DNA Essentials
Smart Licensing Status: UNREGISTERED/EVAL MODE
cisco C9120AXI-E (VXE) processor (revision VXE) with 327447K bytes of memory.
C9120AXI-WLC#sh license summary
Smart Licensing is ENABLED
Export-Controlled Functionality: NOT ALLOWED
License Authorization:
Evaluation Period Remaining: 67 days, 17 hours, 27 minutes, 19 seconds
License Usage:
License Entitlement tag Count Status
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(DNA_NWSTACK_E) 1 EVAL MODE
(AIR-DNA-E) 1 EVAL MODE
C9120AXI-WLC#
As you can see export controlled features (crypto) will not work without license activation.

This link below gives what features comes with different DNA licensing models. Keep it as a reference (this page primarily for switches).

https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/software/dna-subscription-switching/en-sw-sub-matrix-switching.html?OID=otren019471 

Once evaluation/subscription expires, I believe it falls back to Network Essential/Network Advantage depend on the subscription model you got.

DNA Essential -> Network Essential

DNA Advantage -> Network Advantage

In your case EWC still functions and able to serve wireless clients. (even 90 eval expires & you do not have smart licensing).

I am sure when you buy this AP, it has to come with DNA-E or DNA-A license with it, so you should be able to set up smart licensing.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasika - if only Cisco could publish the same details for wireless :)

There is a DNA Wireless matrix! See: https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/software/dna-subscription-wireless/en-sw-sub-matrix-wireless.html

But please be aware that, as far as I know, the EWC on an AP doesn't support fabric mode (so NO SDA), but only FlexConnect.

- I say what I mean and I do what I say -
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card