cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add APs to autonomous network

CESAR VARGAS
Level 1
Level 1

I have a working network of 30 autonomous APs (2702) and I have to add 6 more APs.

But 2702s (and all autonomous Cisco APs) are EOL.    

Have you tried to install a Mobility Express network coexisting with a autonomous network? Will clients roam between both networks flawlessly?

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

why dont you migrate all these APs in mobility express. FYI:Mobility Express supports a maximum of 25 Access points in a Mobility Express deployment.

From new ME APs, you can configure one as master WLC an manage rest of the APs with it.

And yes then your roaming will work if you have enough overlaping coverage.

My recommandation: Buy small enterprize WLCs(2 X 3504) and manage all these APs, it will also support AP & Client SSO.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Hi

Wi-Fi are meant to coexist but there will be no roaming between then. If you are using the same SSID and the same PSK, there will be fast disconnection and reconnection among Access Points but this is not actually roaming. 

Roaming is a complicate process that requires a pre-authentication and key cache and sharing which will be available with WLC and/or WDS. 

The best option is install a small WLC or use ME among all APs.

You can read more about roaming here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap12-wdsroam-rm.html#pgfId-1035854

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card