cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding A Second Cisco 2504 AP Controller

rnogueira02790
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I currently have a single 2504 Controller managing 50 AP's.  I am adding a Second 2504 AP Controller with 15 Lic to manage an additional 10 AP's.  My current 2504 has each port configured for my four subnets that and it is managing AP's in 4 buildings.  Should I configure the new 2504 the same way so that it can see all four sites?  All so if the main 2504 goes down can the second 2504 take over even thou we will be out of lic?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The second 2504 will only support 15 AP's so you really do not have a true failover. You should of gotten another 2504 with a 50 ap license. This will at least allow 50 APs. You are still short, but you can set priorities on an AP and have 50 set as high and the others low priority.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link on ap failover priority

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/6_0apcfg.html#wp1110077

-Scott

Thanks for the Great Info ---

One last Question

Can I have two controllers at one site with AP's from that site on each controller?

Thanks

Bob

Yes you can. You just want to make sure you avoid the salt n pepper design. You don't want too much roaming between ap joined to different WLC's. Sonic you have two floors, I would put APs on one floor one one wlc and the APs on the other floor on the other wlc. If you have a lot of bleed between floor and devices can possible roam to an ap on a different floor, then maybe put all the APs on one wlc.

If you have one floor, you can split the floor in half and do the same as a multi floor.

-Scott

Ok Thanks for the quick responce.

Bob

No problem...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Take a look at the wlc redundancy doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1170102

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card