cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding second SSID for public internet

mopepwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Please excuse me, but I am very new to this. We have 1230 APs going back to our 3550s for our company wireless. We are now wanting to add public wireless throughout the facility for our customers. We are wanting to bring in a seperate T1 line for the public wireless. I understand the 1230s can have multiple SSIDs. What other equipment would we need to complete this. If we need to add another switch for the public, that is not a problem, but how to split the feed from the AP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can do that by using VLAN's and then assign the SSID's to them. So as you make different vlan's on the wired LAN, you make trunk links to the 1230AP's and then also configure the vlan's on the AP's. Then you assign them to different SSID's. So simple :-). Just be carefull that the AP's management VLAN (bridge group 1) is the native VLAN, cause the AP's don't support the management VLAN beeing a tagged one.

Simon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can do that by using VLAN's and then assign the SSID's to them. So as you make different vlan's on the wired LAN, you make trunk links to the 1230AP's and then also configure the vlan's on the AP's. Then you assign them to different SSID's. So simple :-). Just be carefull that the AP's management VLAN (bridge group 1) is the native VLAN, cause the AP's don't support the management VLAN beeing a tagged one.

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card