Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1542D-B-K9 & AIR-AP-1542I-x-K9 range distance

kelguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what is the ideal distance range that a AIR-AP-1542D-B-K9 that has a 9dBi gain have with no obstructions?

Also for the AIR-AP-1542I-B-K9 with 4dBi gain have?

I would like to know as I am not able to find a definite range number and I am constantly being asked this question.

Thank you in advance,

Kelly

6 Replies 6

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

depends on a lot of things, what attenuators are in the way of the AP to the client.

How clean the air space is

what band you are using and data rates

Is the antenna Omni or directional

What power levels the client and AP are using

best to get one up, grab the least capable most significant devices and do a test or get a wireless survey done

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Get a wireless site survey done.

I agree with Leo. Have a survey done. You only get one change to do it right. Range depends also on the client devices and their NIC antenna gain and power, not just the ap antenna gain and power.
-Scott

I understand that a survey would be needed to get the actual value, but I am asking for a general number that I can use to estimate that this antenna could be a viable option.

Like, a 4dBi omnidirectional 1542 AP can potentially provide an estimate of 100ft.

For just free space path loss Ekahau shows the 1542D going 120m to cell edge of -67

Now if the client can communicate back thats another story

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Correct... one way. That is why one also need to look at the devices and see how far it can communicate.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card