Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 without controller

YasSabir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have recently purchase an aironet 1800 series prcisly a AP1832I-E-K9 .

i connect the access point to a POE switch it boots up it get's an ip address from the router i can ping it and all but there is a message keep saying CAPWAP state : discovery and it reboot after 50 times .

Please help do i need to have a wirelesse controller to set this up .

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Means AP has an Controller based image(CAPWAP Software). You need to convert it mobility express.

How to convert :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide/b_Cisco_Mobility_Express_Deployment_Guide_chapter_010.html

http://itadminguide.com/convert-capwap-cisco-1852i-access-point-to-mobility-express/

After conversion you need to deploy it:

https://www.packet6.com/deploying-cisco-mobility-express/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi @YasSabir

As per your log, yes you need. Take a look on flash, if you AP image have k9w8 on it, this is a capwap AP and require WLC.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio ,

Thanks for your reply but i'm afraid i can't type anything in the CLI the capwap message keep appearing 50 times thane it reboots saying failed to register and the same thing keep hapening over and over .

!!

try..the command:

no logging console

Regards

type " logging synchronous " and press enter this command stop the syslog messages from interrupting the console connection 

type " logging synchronous " 

AP1832i Putty connection unable to type.png

Is there a way to terminate this capwap state discovery thing so i can type on the console? it just doesnt allow me to type anything

You must convert at least one of those APs to a Controller based image. Once that is done and that AP is configured, all other APs will join it.
See the post from Sandeep for more details.

#logging console disable 

this command will stop the logging messages.

enter the console terminal. 1 type #enable, 2 type #cisco as username, 3 type#cisco as password, 4 type #logging console disable 

If you are planning to use it without a controller, you need to install a mobile express image that you can download from cisco. 

In order to have the AP to communicate in the network you are, you have to give it an IP. To do it type this command #capwap ap ip (ip address) (subnet) (default gw) enter valid ip values within the parenthesis.

Ping the ip from another device to make sure it works.

Download tftp server on your computer, download mobility express and save it on the tftp server.

Call the image on the AP from the TFP server. type #ap-type mobilityexpress tftp://0.0.0.0/name of the image. Hit enter

Replace the 0s with the ip address of the device where the tftp is installed, type the name of the image exactly as it is. example ap3g3-k9w8-tar.155-3.JFI.tar

When the process is done. type #reload

After that you will have mobility express broadcasting and you will be able to configure it.

alisha_rascon01
Level 1
Level 1

AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 is one of the Cisco Aironet 1830 Series Access Points. Cisco 1830 AP series is ideal for small and medium-sized networks. This series supports the latest Wi-Fi standard, the 802.11ac Wave 2 standard. The 1830 Series extends support to a new generation of Wi-Fi clients, such as smartphones, tablets, and high-performance laptops that have integrated 802.11ac Wave 1 or Wave 2 support. The model AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 provides E Regulatory Domain and internal antennas.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: