cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1100 Mac Authentication Issues/Problems

pedroclaro2002
Level 1
Level 1

I have two aironet 1100 access points and i require to activate the mac authentication. First of all, I managed to do all the things I needed (add/remove mac addresses) using the web interface. After that, I tried to use the telnet console. Then the problems emerged. I'm not using or considering using any radius server or other type, just the local AP database. How can I add a new user to the local database? I've tried to use the comand "username mac_address 7 password .... " but then I require a encrypted password which I don't really know. And how can I remove a username (macaddres) from the local database? I don't see any reference to this in any of the Cisco manuals. Sorry for the newbie question but I'm quite lost. Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

The following should allow you to add local MAC address authentication on your AP using the CLI

…on Access Point using Local List

username password 0

username autocommand exit

aaa authentication login local

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

authentication open mac-address

If you want to remove a MAC address from the CLI you need to negate the command:

no username password 0

If you were to use local authentication of MAC addresses and then fall back to a RADIUS sever if the MAC address wasn't available locallly you can use:

…using Authentication Server if MAC address not found in Local List

username password 0

aaa authentication login local group

aaa group server radius

server auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646

radius-server host auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646 key 0

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

authentication open mac-address mac_methods

and similarly if you only want MAC address authentication to be provided via a RADIUS server you would use:

…using Authentication Server only

aaa authentication login group

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

aaa group server radius

HTH

Paddy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

Go to the GUI. Click on "SECURITY" and "Advanced Security". You can define the MAC address there.

Thanks for answering my post, but I would like to configure the access point using telnet (console) commands, not the GUI, since I'm developing some telnet scripts. This way I can add/remove mac addresses in an automatic way.

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

The following should allow you to add local MAC address authentication on your AP using the CLI

…on Access Point using Local List

username password 0

aaa authentication login local

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

If you want to remove a MAC address from the CLI you need to negate the command:

no username password 0

If you were to use local authentication of MAC addresses and then fall back to a RADIUS sever if the MAC address wasn't available locallly you can use:

…using Authentication Server if MAC address not found in Local List

username password 0

aaa authentication login local group

aaa group server radius

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

authentication open mac-address mac_methods

and similarly if you only want MAC address authentication to be provided via a RADIUS server you would use:

…using Authentication Server only

aaa authentication login group

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

vlan

aaa group server radius

HTH

Paddy

Great answer paddy, thanks. I'm going to try your list of commands right now. I never thought removing users by using the prefix "no".

No problem.

I have been making notes regarding MAC authentication as its useful to know how to configure from the CLI, i rarely use the GUI to be honest.

I've used all three of the CLI methods for MAC authentication on Aironet 350 and 1200's without any issues.

Thanks

Paddy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card