Views
Helpful
Replies

AIRPRINT BONJOUR 2504 ISSUE

kennedymacharia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have a WLC 2504 version 8.1 with 2702 access points and have a few mac and ipad users. We have enabled mdns snooping and practically followed bonjour config guide step by step. Mac users on wired network are able to discover printer and print but wireless network are unable. We have tried to use a different network not on WLC and users are able to print so we are sure something is wrong with the WLC. Anyone with any idea on what I am missing. 

12 Replies 12

Long shot here.  There´s any layer 3 devices before Prineter? Does it allows multicast ?

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7
  • Can you attach the config for the WLC (sans any sensitive info) if possible?
  • Are IGMP / MLD Snooping enabled globally?
  • To avoid complicating things with profiles, have you disabled mDNS Policy globally (under mDNS -> General)? Having this enabled means you must define the discovered services in a policy like the default-mdns-policy. If you disable this then you don't have to worry about that component, yet.
  • Can the WLC see the services being advertised? You shoud be able to select 'Airplay' or whatever service you are trying to see and the WLC will list their MAC addresses of discovered services?
  • You'll need to also have ensured the service origin is "all" or "wired" at the very least for them to be discoverable.
  • Does the WLC have an interface defined in the same VLAN as the Bonjour services i.e if that AppleTV is on VLAN 100, does the WLC also have a L3 interface in VLAN 100?

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Hi Ric,

Thank you for the reply and apologies for my late response I was not getting Email notifications. 

1. I have attached the Global and MDNS config. Or do will the command line one be best?
  2. Are IGMP / MLD Snooping enabled globally? yes
  3. I have disabled MDNS policy
  4. I cant see services advertised
  5. origin is marked as all.
  6. The bonjour devices are on same Network as the WLC management network

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Ideally a full config with the explanation of VLANs if possible and what service you are looking for - just AirPrint?

Thanks,
Ric

Hi Ric,

Thank you again for your time. Aiprint is the biggest issue but I think all bonjour services will be needed at some point. I have attached the config.

Cheers for the config, I probably need some of the info you've removed.. what VLAN are the wired machines on as well as the interface that is mapped to your WLAN.. and which WLAN is it?

I think you alluded to them all sharing the L2 VLAN so if that's the case you won't even need bonjour gateway, just IGMP snooping enabled on the WLC. You've already said yes to doing that so just trying to understand the topology.

Under mDNS - Domain Names do you see any discovered services on the WLC at all?

Thanks,

Ric

Hi Ric,

The the Wlan that is running the services is in the management vlan which is the same vlan that the printer is. On domain names I dont see any discovered services and that is how I know something is wrong.

Hi Guys,

Anyone with an idea on this?

Hey,

Sorry for not replying before. As your wired/wireless VLAN is the same you shouldn't even need a Bonjour gateway/mDNS snooping - you can turn it off.

With IGMP snooping enabled the WLC should be forwarding these requests between the two. You could tr enabling broadcast forwarding as a test (although preferably that won't be used long term). Is there a possibility to try a different code?

Thanks,

Ric

Hi Ric,

Thank you for the reply. we are considering trying a different code although as a last resort but I have two questions

1. The Printer and WLC are on different Switches although on the same vlan is that an issue.
  2. What is the required multicast global address I read on apple forums it has to be 224.0.0.251 is this correct?

So all you need is layer 2 multicast/igmp which is effectively a multicast broadcast across that single VLAN. The layer 3 component for mDNS which is range 224.0.0.250 - 251 doesn't come into play on a routing level because it never gets routed by the WLC or the gateway. Your WLC will need igmp snooping in order to send/receive the requests but that's all.

Do you have igmp snooping enabled on the switches?

I think you've answered this before but just checking - If you plug a Mac laptop into one switch and the Airprint capable printer into the other switch, do you see it discovered on the laptop? Alternatively what is your normal test?

Another workaround is instead of using APs in local mode use them in FlexConnect mode which will lcoally switch all the traffic (bypass the WLC) and all mDNS traffic should forward that way.

Ric

Interestingly the release notes say this:

• For multicast to work on Cisco 2500 Series WLC, you have to configure the multicast IP address.
  • IGMP or MLD snooping is not supported on FlexConnect APs. IGMP and MLD snooping is allowed only for local mode APs in multicast-multicast mode.

So maybe try configuring your WLC with an address e.g. 239.255.255.10, enable AP multicast-multicast mode and see if that helps.

Ric

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: