Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

airtime fairness question

So I was looking into ATF and read the first page that google popped up for me. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/air-time-fairness.html So this page specifies that each group you specify get a certain airtime percentage. During the GUI configuration they specify this:

Specify a name, ID, and weight to the ATF policy. Weighted ratio is used instead of percentages so that the total can exceed 100. The minimum weight that you can set is 5. For example, if you configure the weight as 50, this means that the air time for this ATF profile is 50% when applied to an policy profile.

So here's where I'm starting to get confused. Let us say I have 4 SSID in the following ATF configuration

SSID 1 - 50

SSID 2 - 50

SSID 3 - 25

SSID 4 - 25

This would give me a total of 150 weight. Should this then be interpreted as:

SSID 1 = 1/3 of the air time

SSID 2 = 1/3 of the air time

SSID 3 = 1/6 of the air time

SSID 4 = 1/6 of the air time

So let's dig down further, It specifies that ATF is calculated anytime a client is connected or disconnected. For the ease let us use SSID 1 and 2. Would each client then get 50% of the airtime or would they each get ~33% of the airtime and the last ~33% just do nothing since they are technically allocated to a SSIDs which doesn't have a client connected?

For me it should be obvious that each client should get 50% of the airtime in this case but it's only an assumption (assumption has caused me all kinds of headaches in the past) but I'm looking for "the actual truth" here, what does end up happening?

Also, anyone know if this will work on 91xx APs, so far in the document it only specified Wi-Fi 5 gen APs, although by the link of the document it's at code 16.10 so a bit old.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card