cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

All WLAN SSID using management Interface

kklc
Level 1
Level 1

I know that AP Group maps the WLAN SSID to Interface for the APs in that group, while Flexconnect Group maps the WLAN SSID to VLAN. However, i have a confusion below.

In normal case, if i have a SSID "Office", dynamic interface "Int-office" with IP 172.16.30.2/24 in VLAN 30. In the WLAN settings, I should choose interface "Int-office" for SSID "Office" in order for uses to get a 172.16.30.x IP (vlan 30) when they connect to "Office".

However, I see a live config in working WLC that WLAN "Office" is using the management interface (10.100.50.2/24, VLAN 90) instead, but the users are still able to get a 172.16.30.x IP. In Flexconnect group, WLAN "Office" is mapped to VLAN 30.

This confuses me that doesn't the WLAN needs to use the interface associated to VLAN 30 in order for users to get a 172.16.30.x IP (vlan 30)? But in the real case, it doesn't need to be. So what's the management interface in this config doing here, like the screenshot in attached? Thanks again

1 Reply 1

normally configuration hierarchy will be there.

Global config -> override by WLAN config -> override by AP Group config -> override by AAA

I am sure even WLAN map to vlan90 on WLAN config level, under AP group you might map it to vlan30 interface. So AP group config takes precedence and users will get vlan 30 IPs.

In flexconnect local switching scenario, WLAN map interface does not matter as capwap data traffic does not come to the controller. So you can map WLAN to dummy interface or mgt interface for simplicity. 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card