Views
Helpful
Replies

Allowing user to access internet after entering email address

vyas.nilay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 5508 controller in my lab. I am working on a project to set up a public internet but with some condition.

- User should able to connect to the SSID without any authentication.

- Once user will connec to the SSID it should redirect to an external URL which indicates terms and condition and email address field.

- User should enter his/her email address in email addrss filed and click I accept button.

- Once that is done then he/she is allowed to access internet.

We are not sure how can we achive this as I do not know what should be the return value for WLC to allow that user to go through or what should be the settings on the WLC to redirect to the page.

I have seen a settings on web authentication for external URL but I guess it is only for username passwor or Radius authentication. While in this case I do not want to use any authentication just an accept buttor or Decline button and all good to go.

Please let me know if you have any options which I can try to set up in lab before going for production in 2 weeks time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me try to explain and the link on the bottom should help you set it up. Let me know if this answered your question or not.

> you will setup a guest WLAN with no encryption

- Once user will connec to the SSID it should redirect to an external URL which indicates terms and condition and email address field.
> once a user clicks on the SSID and opens a browser, he/she will get a splash page in which the terms and condition shows up and all they do is enter an email address and hit accept

- User should enter his/her email address in email addrss filed and click I accept button.
> thus is part of the splash page mentioned previously

> they will have Internet access

So bottom line is... Yeah you can do this with the WLC itself. You just need to setup the WebAuth for email. The email isn't stored on the WLC but you can point the WLC to use a syslog server and capture that info. The user can also put a fake email so just be aware

Here is a great blog on how to do it with a video.

http://wireless-richard.blogspot.com/2012/09/customize-web-auth-page-on-cisco-wlc.html?m=1#!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Martin Bosch
Level 1
Level 1

I know Cisco ISE has something to that affect. But u still need a "sponsor" to give the user some form of credentials. At the moment I am using MAC authentication against my ACS for guest access – in an isolated vlan. I am still trying to convince the powers to be that we need ISE as part of out BOYD solution.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me try to explain and the link on the bottom should help you set it up. Let me know if this answered your question or not.

> you will setup a guest WLAN with no encryption

> once a user clicks on the SSID and opens a browser, he/she will get a splash page in which the terms and condition shows up and all they do is enter an email address and hit accept

> thus is part of the splash page mentioned previously

> they will have Internet access

So bottom line is... Yeah you can do this with the WLC itself. You just need to setup the WebAuth for email. The email isn't stored on the WLC but you can point the WLC to use a syslog server and capture that info. The user can also put a fake email so just be aware

Here is a great blog on how to do it with a video.

http://wireless-richard.blogspot.com/2012/09/customize-web-auth-page-on-cisco-wlc.html?m=1#!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card