Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Another Silly Question

Hello Guy I'm me again I have another silly question.

Recently I bought a MacBook Pro and I was checking it's wireless specifications and I found this.

Captura de pantalla 2013-09-19 a la(s) 12.35.01.png

I live in Mexico and we have a lot of 2.4 GHz networks, my questions is some days ago I visit a transport company and they have AP with dual band 2.4 & 5 Ghz and in the WLC both bad was support.

My question is.. if I try to connect this networ I will able to join in what band? 2.4 or 5 Ghz ? Or I will see 2 SSID with the same name?

I'm so lost =(

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel,

here how you can do it on windows 7

(Wireless NIC Configure -> Advanced tab->Preferred band -> 2.4Gor 5G)

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

You can't choose what band to connect on with any Apple laptops. My MacBook Pro prefers the 2.4ghz and I really don't care as long as it's working. That is the key:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Daniel,

You will see only one SSID. It would be up to the client to decide which radio it would connect to. The client verify various parameters like RSSI, load on AP etc... and make a decision to which radio it should connect to. In a normal case if a SSID is broadcasted by two radios the client would tend to see higher RSSI from 802.11 g radio and it would try connect to it..

But if you are using any windows client you could disable either of radios on the laptop in case you have any preference of radio the client should use.

Hope that helps

Regards

Najaf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

So for example...

In this company the most part of the user are using laptop with b/g/n in 2.4 that means that If I going in and i try to connect my MacBook Pro Always I will connect on 2.4 Network?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

The decision to join which AP and which protocol lies with the wireless NIC of the client (and not the access point).

You can force the NIC to specifically join an 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g network. 

Leo

Do you know where I can force my nic on my MacBok Pro and where I can do it on Windows?

Hi Daniel,

here how you can do it on windows 7

(Wireless NIC Configure -> Advanced tab->Preferred band -> 2.4Gor 5G)

HTH

Rasika

Can you please mark this thread as "Answered"?

You can't choose what band to connect on with any Apple laptops. My MacBook Pro prefers the 2.4ghz and I really don't care as long as it's working. That is the key:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card