cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna type in WCS / WLC

Cisco1619
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am still somewhat new to the wireless side and I saw something today while trying to troubleshoot a wireless issue we were having that I have not heard or read about from my CCNA Wireless studies. I noticed that the antenna types our WCS is showing attached to my APs are wrong.

My question is, do the APs / WCS / WLC know what type of antenna is connected to the APs automatically or is this a manual process that someone should assign them? The second question is, if it is a manual process (which I suspect it will be) can I change it without disrupting current connections or should I wait until a maintenance window to do this?

We have 3502e AP with AIR-ANT-1728 and AIR-ANT-5150V-R antennas attached to them, but my WCS says they have the rubber duckies on them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!                    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no way the WLC even knows what antennas you have. If your using antennas besides the rubber ducks then you need to define that on WCS. If you have Cisco antennas, there is a drop list of the antennas. You also have to make sure of the antenna orientation. This is all defined in the WCS user guide.

Note
If you have a ceiling-mounted AP with an integrated omni-directional antenna, the antenna orientation does not really need to be set in WCS. However, if you mount that same AP on the wall, you must set the antenna orientation to 90 degrees.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no way the WLC even knows what antennas you have. If your using antennas besides the rubber ducks then you need to define that on WCS. If you have Cisco antennas, there is a drop list of the antennas. You also have to make sure of the antenna orientation. This is all defined in the WCS user guide.

Note
If you have a ceiling-mounted AP with an integrated omni-directional antenna, the antenna orientation does not really need to be set in WCS. However, if you mount that same AP on the wall, you must set the antenna orientation to 90 degrees.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you so much for the help!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card