Views
Helpful
Replies

AP discovery with mobility groups

packet2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been lab testing IRCM between a Cisco 5508 WLC and a new Cisco 9800-40 WLC in preparation for a migration. We will be migrating from the Cisco 5508 WLC with wave1/2 APs to the Cisco 9800-40 WLC with 9100 series APs.

I have upgraded the 5508 to the required IRCM release and established a secure mobility tunnel/group with the 9800-40 and completed all of the required testing to ensure that we have seamless roaming between the WLCs throughout the migration. All good here,

One odd behavior that I did notice, is that after powering down the Cisco 5508 WLC, the wave1/2 APs joined the 9800-WLC which was not expected. The wave1/2 APs are placed in their own VLANs and discover the 5508 WLC using DHCP option 43 with no DNS based discovery. After doing some further testing, this only happens when a mobility tunnel has been established between the 5508 and 9800 WLC so the legacy wave1/2 APs must be learning of the 9800 WLC's management IP address via the mobility configuration. If I delete the mobility tunnel before powering down the 5508, the wave1/2 APs do not discover or attempt to join the 9800-40.

Is this the correct and expected behavior as I couldn't not find this in any Cisco documentation? My concern is that if the 5508 is powered off for whatever reason during the migration phase, the wave1/2 APs will attempt to join the 9800-40 WLC which we do not want. Is there any way to prevent this behavior?

1 Reply 1

You should control this via AP high availability configuration (primary & secondary WLC/IP). All wave1/2 (if you prefer to keep it on 5520) should have primary WLC as 5520 without a secondary. All 9100 should have primary 9800 without secondary.

Learning about all WLCs detail in same mobility group is normal behavior. Once AP learn about a WLC, you cannot undo that from AP memory unless you reset it to factory default.

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card