Views
Helpful
Replies

AP does not join the controller.

xiaodi.yang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This happend yesterday to one of our office access points (AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9). The circle was flashing with all kinds of colors, I took it down to our servicedesk and plugged in the console cable and it was saying the following:

%CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

We have a test AP (same model, same config) at our servicedesk. I plugged it into the port where we have our test AP but still same thing, though It works perfectly fine for our test AP, the test AP joins up with the our primary controller after rebooting.

What could be the problem?

8 Replies 8

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

From that message the AP is not able to get an IP address.

Do you have DHCP properly configured?

If you sniff the switch port, do you see the AP sending DHCP discovery packets?

Do you see any DHCP offer?

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

yes the DHCP is definitely properly configured since our test AP works perfectly, on the very same switch port. This happend yesterday to the faulted one, before that it was working fine as well, up at the conference room.

If you sniff the switch port, do you see the AP sending DHCP discovery packets?

Do you see any DHCP offer?

If the AP is not sending DHCP Discovery packets even though it is configured for DHCP, then it is broken.

I would try to reset to factory defaults.

If still not working, open a TAC case.

BR,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

xiaodi.yang
Level 1
Level 1

Just cleared the configs on the AP and now all it does is complaining about not having an IP:

*Mar  1 00:03:30.124: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

and when i enter the show ip interface brief command, the following comes up:

AP001d.e557.0fb8#show ip int brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

Dot11Radio0                unassigned      NO  unset  up                    up

Dot11Radio1                unassigned      NO  unset  up                    up

FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES other  up                    down

The Protocol for FastEthernet0 is down somehow.

I just took out a new AP straight of the box from our storage room and plugged it into the same switchport, it finds itself to our primary controller without any problem. Could the AP's ethernet port be defect?

xiaodi.yang
Level 1
Level 1

OK I have found the problem:

The system has been encountered an error initializing

ethernet port. You may need to check hardware

The system is ignoring the error and continuing boot.

If you interrupt the system boot process, the following

commands will reinitialize ethernet, tftp, and finish

loading the operating system software:

ether_init

tftp_init

boot

I guess its hardware failure.

Hi,

I would try with another Ethernet cable before doing any replacement of the AP.

I have seen this happen even here in my lab when the Ethernet cable was broken on the POE wire only...

HTH,
Tiago

--

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Xiaodi,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by Tiago is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards

7919dvalle
Level 1
Level 1

1.- si el AP tiene precargado la versión 8.4.100.0 y al conectar al internet y direccionarlo a una wlc con cualquier otra versión se va a ver en consola lo siguiente:

Se revisa en la flash: a que paquete corresponde la versión 8.4.100.0 y se borra:

Show flash:

delete /force /recursive flash:/c3700-k9w8-mx.153-3.JE

Una vez borrado el paquete se hace reload para que arranque el ap con el banco de IOS de backup:

Generalmente se carga una versión 8.2.100.0 o si no, se carga cualquier versión de IOS borrando toda la flash: (en caso de que el ap arranque en modo rommon)

Hecho ese cambio se conecta al dhcp con salida a Internet y empieza la carga de firmware 8.5.161.0

Terminada la actualización queda actualizado el ap a la versión de la WLC:

Se continúa el proceso de comisionamiento en la WLC y quedan los aps operativos

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card